Monday, September 23, 2019

Today was the Sew Day at Marcie's.  I remembered to bring the DQ patterns for Perri, the (now empty of brownies) Tupperware container to return to Wanda, and the owl magnet for Mary.  I remembered the tub with the quilt pattern and fabric pieces all cut.  I remembered my lunch (grilled chicken, hard boiled egg, strawberries) and thermorest.  But when I sat down to sew, I realized I hadn't remembered my sewing machine!  At least I didn't have to travel far to retrieve it.



Mary loved her owl magnet - and the bag of spools a couple of the ladies had been saving for her granddaughter to use in her classroom.


She ended up leaving around lunchtime (needed to get back to 'supervise' Jack) but called later in the afternoon, saying she was upset.. because she'd gone off and left her bags of goodies behind and was afraid we'd think she didn't appreciate our gifts.  So she made a trip back over.  I could certainly relate after forgetting my sewing machine earlier.



Perri was really dragging today, so all of us were glad she still joined us.  
Love the adorable kitty sweater she was knitting.  



Wanda brought 3 quilts for show and tell, and I did take pix.  Unfortunately I can't share them because they're all going into competitions.  However I can share pix of what she was working on today.


When I ran out of steam around 3:00 and headed home her top wasn't finished, though I'm guessing she did get it done this afternoon.



Marcie was working on this charity quilt for the Stitch & Bitch group.




I got to start sewing on Elena's wedding quilt today!  Marcie has been a tremendous help, not only allowing me to use her Accuquilt machine so the pieces are all cut exactly the same size, but also loaning me some tools that are making a big difference in how well the blocks are going together.  I got a bunch of the H blocks made today, and now have a sizeable stack in my "first" fabric.



During lunch we had noticed how black the sky was to the north, and actually did get some rain in the afternoon.  But it was only at home later that I discovered that there were tornadoes in New River, not that far north of here.  We got some heavy rain this afternoon/evening, with lots of loud cracks of thunder, and Flagstaff got snow.


PHOENIX (3TV/CBS 5) -- A tornado warning issued for areas north of Phoenix has now expired.  But a confirmed tornado in the new River area was actually caught on camera by two of our viewers! Take a look. The tornado warning affected the north Valley, including Cave Creek and Carefree. The alert was issued just before 12:30 p.m. and expired just before 12:45 p.m.  The National Weather Service (NWS) tweet warned people to "Get indoors!  And the Cave Creek Unified School District stated on its Facebook page that Mountain Elementary School and Cactus Shadows High School were "sheltering in place" due to the tornado warning in the area. Horizon High School in the PV district did the same.  The NWS says that even though the tornado warning has expired, storms are continuing. The threats of hail, strong wind, heavy rain and even an isolated tornado are still possible.


Found a package on the front porch when I got home, a cute book I had ordered.  And in the mailbox was a delightful thank-you note from Greta.  For a 10-day-old baby she certainly has lovely handwriting.


Dear Aunt Bobbi,
Thank you so much for my beautiful quilt!  I love all the pictures on it and the bright colors.  Mommy loves the star burst stitching pattern.  I can't wait to use it growing up and I can't wait to meet you soon!
Lots of love, Greta


Marcela called this afternoon, and we spent an hour catching up.  Among other things I found out that Elena's future FIL has been diagnosed with bone cancer, so what should be a happy time for them, planning a wedding, has a dark cloud hanging above.


No comments:

Post a Comment