Saturday, September 14, 2019

As expected, I had a great day in Flagstaff at Pickin' in the Pines.  


While I waited for Tami and Allan to arrive (they didn't get out of Lake Havasu quite as early as they had hoped) I chatted with a woman from Tucson who was sitting in front of me.  Lynelle told me about an upcoming event in Tucson next Saturday to celebrate the International Day of Peace.



The International Day of Peace, sometimes unofficially known as World Peace Day, is a United Nations-sanctioned holiday observed annually on 21 September. It is dedicated to world peace, and specifically the absence of war and violence, such as might be occasioned by a temporary ceasefire in a combat zone for humanitarian aid access. The day was first celebrated in 1981.

Lynelle will be reading one of her poems.  Here's part of it:

Our hearts are filled with seeds
Seeds of love, hope, and peace
Seeds of anger, fear, and despair
Which do we water?
Which do we feed?


The kids' booth had t-shirts for kids that they could color.  
Here's a proud artist, Clara!




It was sunny and rather hot all morning, and with no shade we were sure glad to see afternoon clouds roll in.  Then we actually got a little rain, which cooled off things considerably.  I was glad I had bought a long-sleeved tee that I could slip on.



It was fun, as always, spending the day with Tami and Allan.  I'll see them again in November when I head to Lake Havasu for their quilt show.



I ran into some weather on drive home.  HEAVY rain made it so hard to see that a lot of cars pulled off onto the shoulder; it didn't help that the black sky had turned the afternoon into night.  I had 15 minutes of white-knuckle driving, then all of a sudden everything cleared up.  No rain made it here at home of course, though the wind is blowing and we're hearing considerable thunder, so it could still happen...


No comments:

Post a Comment