Friday, March 1, 2019

One of the things that drew me to Brownie at the shelter yesterday was that while he got up and looked at us very alertly as we came by his cage, he didn't bark like many of the other dogs.  Yesterday afternoon, when Briana and her 4 kids walked by out front, he watched them intently but  didn't let out a peep.  In fact I have yet to hear him "talk".



Housetraining may quite another story.  Despite being an adult dog (3yo?) that I have taken outside at frequent intervals, we have already had two "accidents" - and (cue Murphy's Law music) both times on the carpet.  Luckily I have a full bottle of this!  I am beginning to think that maybe he was an outside dog at his previous home?



  It was apparent at the shelter that he was not used to a leash, so we will work on that also.  At least by last night he was beginning to get interested in a toy.  Seems that his previous life was lacking in so many ways, but he has definitely landed in a good place.



This message from rescue dog
I got up at 4:30, and immediately took him outside, where he took care of business right away. Now we're just hanging out until breakfast time at 7:00.  (I certainly don't want him used to eating this early and thus waking me up if I ever learn to sleep in.)  


He's a little thin, but that's not surprising; when I first fed him yesterday at 3:00 he started scarfing down his food while constantly looking around.  So I'm guessing the siblings at his previous home stole food from him if he didn't gobble it up first. 



I know that it takes patience and understanding to help a rescue dog acclimate to me and a new forever home.  And Brownie has only been here a little over 12 hours!

Now I have arrived at your home and everything is strange.
Do not be terrified if I gobble up my foot; yesterday I had to do it to survive.
Do not get angry if I pee on your floor; yesterday it didn't matter.
Have patience with me; it's your world, but not yet mine.
If I trust you I can give you I can give you the greatest gift I have to give: my heart!
All I need is a little time to adjust.



Today I plan to make a trip over to PetSmart (as a Rescue Parent we have a coupon for some free stuff ) and let him shop for his own dog bed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment