Thursday, December 3, 2020

Yesterday I made a mid-afternoon trip to the post office.  As I had reasonably expected this time of year, the parking lot was busy and the line was long (especially with social distancing.)  On the other hand, I did not expect them to have just two windows open - because if you don't utilize all five windows the week after Thanksgiving, the busiest mailing week of the year, then when would you?!)  

Around the time I'd migrated from the lobby into the actual post office 

they did open a third window.

I was somewhat surprised that the guy in front of me waited all that time, until he got up to the window, before he started filling out his paperwork; I was not surprised that I the not only person in line rolling my eyes.


But I took it all in stride, having allowed "unlimited" time for that errand.  



At least my small total for the two manila envelopes had to be a whole lot less than the cost of mailing a huge, and (obviously) very heavy package; everyone watched the couple struggle mightily when lifting it onto the counter.



There are still tRump signs up at house in our neighborhood (I know of at least three), "appropriately" one in the yard on Yorkshire that sports a couple of life-sized dinosaurs.  Nuff said?




In the afternoon I watched family video #4, which included Lisa's first annual trip to the hot springs.  While I did do some filming on drive up, the camera was not in use when we hit the deer that Mother's Day.



  Marcela and Sean joined us at Valley View for several days during our lengthy stay. Because we were there so long we had to move twice to accommodate other folks' reservations, staying first in Cottonwood Cabin, then in one of the Sunset Rooms (that "motel" was brand new, having just  been built over the winter) and lastly in Elm Cabin.  



Tom was surprised to see us in the various locales because he does not remember having to move.  Which is a good thing, because there was a LOT of baby paraphernalia for him to schlep each time, including (but certainly not limited to!) sizeable items such as her high chair, travel crib,  and walker.




In the evening we watched a couple more episodes of The Queen's Gambit, 
though we did save the final two for tonight.



Then we'll need to look for something else.




Yesterday I sent this "question" toWQXR in NY:

For 6 weeks (between July 15 - August 31) I stayed with a friend who kept on WQXR and thus was introduced to a lot of good music. I heard a WONDERFUL clarinet piece by a modern composer (with a "foreign sounding" name) and at the time made sure to write down all the pertinent information. But now that I need that information I cannot find it. IF memory serves me (not always the case, of course...) he wrote it as a tribute to his mentor. I understand that's not a lot of information to go on (like asking the librarian for a book you liked 'that had a red cover'), but obviously everyone there, unlike me, is so well-versed in music that I'm hoping someone may know exactly the piece I "described".

I did get back a prompt reply.



Dear Bobbi,

Thanks for contacting WQXR. I'm afraid it's just not enough info to go on, unfortunately. If you want to scan the playlists for those days, you can start here with the list of what was played July 15: 
https://www.wqxr.org/playlist-daily/2020/jul/15/?scheduleStation=wqxr and then move forward day by day using the option at the top where the next day is on the right. If you end up recalling what time and what day it was, let us know and we can pull it up for you.

Best, Rebecca (Senior Listener Services Associate)

So I spent considerable time yesterday scrolling through all six weeks of playlists, and (though I thought it was worth a shot) unfortunately I did not find what I was looking for.  


I'm guessing that as a single "song" it was played during one of the day's programs that did not list the actual things played.


So now I'm really hoping to hear from Karen that she still has the e-mail I sent her (because mine are only available back as far as September....)



Still waiting for it to get light outside.  


Good time to do the crossword puzzle ~


and then (after a soak) I will get to work on the placemats!

No comments:

Post a Comment