Saturday, December 26, 2020

 We seem to be setting a new family tradition for this time of year - turkey snafus!  At least this one, however, can be laid at Tom's feet instead of mine.  

He had been thrilled to find a small turkey at the grocery store - but when I opened the bag yesterday morning to prep it, it turned out to just be a breast.  No biggie (no pun intended!) and it cooked up really moist and delicious - but sadly there would be no drumsticks for Alex.  Tom felt bad about it, but it was really okay.  



After I got the potatoes peeled/diced for mashers we opened gifts, 
with more that Alex brought over to add to the pile.



Alex had been dog-sitting for Gru for a couple of days, until 'Mom' flew back into Phoenix yesterday in the late afternoon.  Gru is definitely a sweetie, a wise old man (13?) who knows better than to be upset by Brownie's unpleasantness toward him.  Since this was not Gru's first visit, you'd think Brownie would have realized Gru is no threat, and gotten with the 'be a good host' program by now.  Eventually Brownie did decide to quit growling/snapping at him, and peace once again reigned in the animal kingdom. 



Santa hats were in vogue yesterday -


just like on Christmas Day 2012.... at the hospital.


That photo popped up on FB yesterday as a memory, 
and a number of people commented on how much Lily resembles Mom.



Here's a photo of the three of us in 2009, 
when I flew to Maryland and surprised everyone on Dad's 90th birthday.  


I, however, have always been the spitting image of my Dad!  
Here he was on that milestone birthday:


"Notice" any resemblance between us?




Even Blaise got into the Christmas spirit yesterday, sporting his jaunty holiday hat.  (Avila, however, had been unwilling to come out from her log for her 15 seconds of fame.)



I opened most of my gifts during Chanukah, but did receive some more yesterday:



LOTS of my favorite chocolate goodies (so much for being good...)
quilt puzzle
penguin socks
My Pooch Face gift certificate


Once Alex snaps the perfect picture of Brownie, I can order his hand-drawn portrait!


We ate on schedule at 2:00 (it definitely helps when no one turns off the oven...) and everything was absolutely delicious.  There had been one snag when I was slicing/dicing all the ingredients for the farro salad - the feta cheese was MIA.  



It had made it through the line at the grocery store on Wednesday (the day of the bulk dates 'purchase'), but that bag either never have made it back into my cart, or else got left in the cart in the parking lot. My head was definitely elsewhere that day, reeling over the loss of Mom.  



Still, both Alex and I enjoyed the farro salad immensely, and expect the leftovers will evaporate quickly in the next day or so. My deviled eggs were also their usual hit, and even though there were 24 to begin with, at day's end there were only a handful (yes, 5!) left in the frig.
 


 I kept up my spirits watching family videos much of day (and finally arrived at the "missing" the Jack-in-the-Box clip) and then later Tom and I started one of the easier puzzles - though that term is relative.



Sandy (and Pippa, apparently) approve of the wooden golden retriever puzzle I sent her  ~



It's the one with some pieces cut into appropriate shapes.   



In exciting tech news, yesterday I learned from Alex 
that Siri is alive and well inside my iPad -


so I can use voice commands to send e-mails and texts!



Today Life goes on, though I do expect more tears this afternoon when Andy, Marilyn and I will Zoom to talk about whatever decisions need to be made regarding Mom's apartment, estate, etc.  

No comments:

Post a Comment