Monday, December 7, 2020

Listening to KJZZ on the way to my doc appointment, heard about this:

Virtual USS ARIZONA tour 

Marilyn and I took a real tour when we were in Hawaii in the early 70s.

Today marks the 79th anniversary of the Pearl Harbor attack, which sank the battleship USS Arizona and sparked the U.S. involvement in the Second World War. The state Capitol Museum will be launching a virtual tour of its USS Arizona exhibit as more museums expand their online presence. 

Visitors to the State Capitol can see the USS Arizona’s main mast, anchor, and one of its main guns outside the Capitol. But there are dozens of artifacts located inside the Capitol Museum, which remains closed for the foreseeable future due to the pandemic. That’s why the museum is launching an online virtual tour of its USS Arizona exhibit to coincide with the 79th anniversary of the ship’s sinking.

"It’s so important to reflect on the events that led to World War II and its impact on our state and nation," Secretary of State Katie Hobbs said in a statement. "This tour will be available to viewers of all ages and particularly useful in middle and high school classrooms."

Exhibits will include the ship’s original silver service, as well as artifacts and belongings salvaged from the wreckage and donated by one of the last two remaining survivors, Lt. Cmdr. Louis A. Conter. "We’re excited to offer these virtual resources in lieu of our usual on-site Pearl Harbor Day activities,” Senior Museum Administrator Stephanie Mahan said.

In 1994, the United States Congress designated December 7 of each year as National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day. The joint resolution was signed by President Bill Clinton on August 23, 1994. On November 29, Clinton issued a proclamation declaring December 7, 1994, the first National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day.

On Pearl Harbor Day, the American flag should be flown at half-staff until sunset to honor those who died as a result of the attack on U.S. military forces in Hawaii. Pearl Harbor Day is not a federal holiday – government offices, schools, and businesses do not close. Some organizations may hold special events in memory of those killed or injured at Pearl Harbor.


Today's New Patient Visit with Dr. Guice went well.  I've set up an April appointment for my annual wellness exam, and (though I found her very personable and enjoyed our chat) I hope to not need her services before then!



I swung back by the nursery on my way home, and while I didn't get exactly what I wanted, I did find some little things to plant.  Once that's done they'll get their 15 seconds of fame on my blog.


NOW it's time for lunch; I need to keep up my strength to work on the placemats!

No comments:

Post a Comment