Sunday, December 6, 2020

I was the only customer at TOQS this morning, and was delighted when I found one shade of blue just the right color.  BUT no good deed goes unpunished, right? <g> It was the EOB. 

My original plan was to buy 3 yards - except there were only 2 left. However I didn't panic <g> because while the pattern calls for 2 3/4, I'm not going to need as many blocks for my borders (likely only16, instead of their 20) AND they also used that fabric to sash between the rows.  

Will 2 yards turn out to be enough? 


But the match to the panel is great:



Here's the entire panel, which I picked up several years ago at a quick pop into the huge show at the fairgrounds (when I was already there for the dog show with Marilyn and Stubby):


And here is the Book Nerd pattern I'll use for the borders:



(FYI speaking of having enough, I did end up having enough of the white-on-white after all to finish placemat 4 just like the first three.  Sometimes I just get lucky!)


Driving to/from the quilt store I caught a portion of a TED podcast on NPR: 

"How to Citizen


How To Citizen with Baratunde reimagines the word “citizen” as a verb and reminds us how to wield our collective power. So many of us want to do more in response to the problems we hear about constantly, but where and how to participate can leave us feeling overwhelmed and helpless. Voting, while critically important, simply isn’t enough. It takes more to make this experiment in self-governance work. Listen in to learn new perspectives and practices from people working to improve society for the many. Join writer, activist, and comedian Baratunde Thurston on a journey beyond politics as usual that will leave us all more hopeful, connected, and moved to act.


I wasn't home long before Melodie texted to let me know that my embroidery names were done.  As I was texting back to see if today would be okay to come pick them up, she texted me again because she realized that SHE'D embroidered two of the names on the wrong side of the fabric and had to redo them. 

As I'd 'proved', it is easy to mistake the back of that fabric for the front!


I always feel better when a "real" quilter makes the same mistake I do!




It didn't take long for her to re-stitch the names (luckily there was enough fabric left) and then Brownie rode along when I went to pick them up.  Got to see some of the holiday quilts Melodie's doing for clients (she is really slammed, because of course everyone needs them before Christmas.)  The most impressive was a Memory Quilt made from little girl dance costumes - it is absolutely incredible!  

  


She had something that needed to be delivered to Jeannie, just on the next block, 
so I did that and saved Melodie a trip over.  We chatted outside for a bit, and I was surprised when Jeannie mentioned that I've lost a lot of weight; didn't think it was that noticeable. 



Thought about attaching the name strips to the placemats when I got home this afternoon, but decided it 'might' be wiser to do that in the morning, when I should be fresher and more alert.



Now getting ready to watch the first episode of Bryan Cranston's new series, Your Honor.  It's been called 'solid', though hasn't gotten rave reviews.  So we shall see.


No comments:

Post a Comment