Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Yesterday, after coffee and the daily crossword puzzle (and some FB) I got an early start to sewing.  Sunday I had listened to music while I sewed, but yesterday decided to watch family movies, which started at the hospital on a very exciting day, September 2, 1990.  


So I guess I can be forgiven for being a little distracted <g> during the birth and having to rip out my entire first seam because the white was upside down.


Not only did I get to 'visit' lots of old friends in Kingman (where we were living at the time) who stopped by to welcome Lisa to the world, but it was beyond wonderful, of course, to see Dad (who has been gone 11! years now) when he and Mom came to spend a week with the newest addition to the family.


Mid-morning I headed off to complete a string of errands.  At the top of the list was to drop off fabric so Melodie (who lives just north of Northern) can embroider names for the set of placemats.  On the way there I popped into 35th Ave. (which was virtually empty) to see about getting 1/4 yard of the white-on-cream background; I'd love to ensure that I'll have enough so that placemat #4 matches the first three exactly.  But despite their huge inventory, surprisingly they didn't have anything even remotely close. 
 

On the plus side, I did get to admire a shopper's stunning quilted jacket - and when I asked if she'd made it, she had!  Reminded me of the incredible jackets Wanda has turned out over the years.




Met Melodie's husband, three grandchildren, and three dogs, including Lucy who is a huge Great Dane.  Brownie, who was disappointed he didn't get to go along in the car with me, was a bit miffed upon my return; sniffing proved I'd been 'cheating' on him. 


I got to see her quilting area, 
and enjoyed her quilts on display around the house.



I'd hoped to get to visit with Perri (safely, out in her yard) since I'd be nearby, but she wasn't feeling up to even getting out of bed so that didn't happen.  



I still went to Bookman's, basically around the corner from her house, to pick up a few gifts.  And since Sprouts was right next door I also was able to pick up a replacement package of farro (which I've been spelling incorrectly....




My last stop was at Wanda's to pick up the goodies she'd set aside for me, fudge and pumpkin bread.  And yes, she was wearing one of her pretty jackets.  While it was one of her simpler ones, I loved the southwestern-themed fabric in 'my' colors!




While I ate my lunch (after which of course I taste-tested a small piece of fudge, which passed with flying colors) I started the second disc of family movies, and got pretty engrossed even though baby Lisa wasn't really 'doing' much.  Bottom line?  I never did any sewing, just enjoyed that blast from the past - even going on to the third disc, making it to April of '91 when she was seven months old.  


It was a bit sobering to notice how many family and friends have left us during these past 30 years.  While not 'surprising' (though of course still sad!) for those of my parents' generation (Dodie, Muriel, Jean, Anita) it was even sadder to lose people from my generation (like Rex and Steve) and saddest of all for a loss from a younger generation, Jeff.




Brownie hasn't gotten to take a walk the past two days (and I haven't soaked, so we're even?)  I'm guessing that he will be happy that he will get to tag along when Mary and I rendezvous for a walk mid-morning near the Foothills Library.  (Which reminds me that I got a notice last week that a book had come in for me at my library; better pick it up today!)



On the way home I'll pop into the store for some chicken broth so I can get a pot of turkey soup going this afternoon.  Tom is not a big fan, but Alex and I love it!





No comments:

Post a Comment