Thursday, December 17, 2020

Thanks to Marilyn, who sent me this very informative link, I've learned a lot about the science of skunk spray.  If you're interested, check out the video:

Skunk science lesson 


It's always good to learn new things, right?  In the most basic terms, a lifelong learner is "someone who keeps acquiring new skills and capabilities well past their formal education years. It involves not only studying new topics but also developing an open-minded, positive attitude about the dynamic nature of the world."  


You'd think that after all these years of sewing/quilting it wouldn't quite qualify as a new skill.  


This afternoon I was merrily working up some book blocks, putting off the page sections that caused me some frustration and instead working on the front/back covers, which I considered the easy part... 

yet 'somehow' <lol> I still managed to screw up...

YES  :-) 


NO  :-(



On the plus side, I had no problem rehanging the porch thermometer <G> 

so now I can view winter from inside.


  While it's definitely colder here than we're used to (note that despite being a mid-day photo it's only registering 50 degrees!) I am grateful that our current frigid temps (30s at night) aren't accompanied by snow... like this place in upstate NY that just got 44 inches!



This morning (by-passing Andy) I called Arbor Ridge, where Mom is in Rehab, and spoke with her nurse.  Seems Mom, who these past few years has experienced a serious decline in appetite, is now barely eating (though apparently is still drinking) so they are starting her on Ensure in hopes of getting some nutrients into her.  Her lack of interest in food could be a side-effect of the kidney issues (which I just learned from Marilyn are often accompanied by nausea) OR a response to the quality of institutional food <g> OR sadly it could be an end-of-life symptom, when the body just stops eating.  I am trying to stay positive, though.



Via the nurse I've sent along a message "from her daughters in Arizona and Texas that we are kicking her in the butt to get well" which made the nurse laugh so I assume she will pass along that message to Mom.  



Mom also should be getting these cheery flowers from us.  I reminded Marilyn (who took care of the first bouquet, and I'll send the next round) that yellow is her favorite color, and these fit the bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment