Monday, December 14, 2020

I spent the lion's share of yesterday working on other half of my first book block, when I lost track of how many times I had to repin, or rip - and STILL never got it done.  

So Mary is coming over again tomorrow to rescue me.



Forgot to mention that on Saturday I got around to planting the flowers to adorn my new shelf.  Once winter passes and herbs become available the flowers will be replaced, but in the meantime here's my view from the kitchen sink:


and from the porch perspective:



Sunday in the late afternoon (once I'd given up on sewing) I did some work out front: little weeding, and sweeping, and scraping of dirt from the cracks. Brownie was fine with supervising. 


  

Spurred on after listening to a podcast about searching for "that song" which Lily had sent me, I decided to again search for "that" short story - which is when I discovered there is an O. Henry museum in Austin.  IF it's actually an O. Henry story maybe they could assist me? Unfortunately the museum is currently closed for renovations, but I am trying a "Tip Of My Tongue" site (my first time on Reddit) 

Can't remember the name of that movie you saw when you were a kid? Or the name of that video game you had for Game Gear? This is the place to get help.

Sure hope my post produces results and someone out there knows the answer!

Title of Short Story read in school anthology around 1962 -

The story was in the style of O. Henry but searches of his work have not turned up anything. The basic story is that an artist is walking in the country, and while resting for a bit draws a picture of an unknown man, with huge rolls of fat. After resuming his walk he comes upon a stone carver who is the spitting image of the man he drew, introduces himself and shows him the picture. It turns out that stone carver has been working on a headstone for display which he shows to the artist. The tombstone has the artist's name and his date of birth - and that day's date as the date of death! When the story ends it is 11:30 at night when these two strangers are just sitting and waiting...

Last night I opened Sandy & Andy's gift, 
which arrived wrapped in a pretty sparkly bag ~

and contained four camisoles, in colors of burgundy, white, gray, and black.  I should get a lot of use from them!  Then Tom brought out a gift (he said most of the things he's ordered haven't arrived yet) which was a quilt block tee:


Guess Night 4 was "Shirt Night" even though I didn't get a Night Shirt? 



In the evening I got another encouraging Mom Update from Andy:

I spoke to the hospitalist caring for Mom today, Dr.Walsh.  Definitely COVID-pneumonia confirmed on chest x-ray but no respiratory distress, no cough, and she no longer needs supplemental oxygen.  She had a 100.2 temp last night, but that has not recurred.  He weakness and confusion might be COVID-related but may also result from her dehydration.  Some concern with her blood pressure which spiked at 180 overnight, but she is now back on her customary BP medicine and that seems under control. Biggest concern is her reduced kidney function. The significance of her ACR (Albumin (“almost 2”) to Creatinine ratio (59)) will best be understood by Don and Emily, but the doctor said it is less than they would like though it is an improvement over where it had been, probably as a result of the fluids they’re infusing (since (if I understood correctly) that is likely another symptom of the dehydration).  Physical therapy assessed her this morning and therapy aimed at getting her on her feet will begin tomorrow. She could be ready for discharge tomorrow or Tuesday, depending on whether a rehab bed is available.  I spoke to the head of admissions at Arbor Ridge, Riderwood’s skilled nursing building.  There are beds available and they do accept COVID+ patients (they have a “COVID neighborhood”).  Assume I will hear from the hospital case manager tomorrow to discuss d/c planning.

Heading to REHAB instead of ICU sounds like the right direction to me! 



I haven't soaked in several days because it's been cold and windy.  I was thinking about doing that  this morning once it got light... except my current robe is in the washer.  (Though several other robes are hanging in the bedroom closet Tom is still asleep at this early hour.) Maybe this afternoon, when it's warmer, would be a better time for a soak anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment