Saturday, October 17, 2020

 Last evening we watched a very informative documentary, Kiss The Ground, about soil - and how it holds a powerful key to reversing climate change.  While I already knew good soil is important, I learned a great deal about the science, and how soil truly works in the cycle.



We will be getting irrigation mid-morning today, 
which means that weeding will feature heavily in my weekend plans.



I've ALWAYS done my weeding by hand, eschewing chemicals.
And yes it would be easier to 'just spray'. 
 


But after last night's program, now more than ever, 
I "realize" why spraying poison is such a truly bad idea.




I'm looking forward to Jake and Katrina posting some pix of August (born in July) 'playing' in the Minnesota snow, but in the meantime this selfie from yesterday will have to do.




I'm still working at getting motivated to start quilting, 
and just came across this from Susan Carlson.

Seven-year-old Emmaline Peterson has the honor of being the youngest quilter to have a fabric collage appear in the Finish Line — and it’s her own wonderful self-portrait! Her grandmother, Julie Peterson of New Winsor, New York, submitted these pictures and the story of the fabric collage quilt Emmy and she made together. I love how Julie appreciated the energy, joy, and limited attention span of a young artist. Julie could have left this an unfinished “UFO” project. Instead, she honored Emmy’s efforts and completed this moment in time.



Julie wrote to Susan that Emmy is seven years old and I challenged her to make a quilt using Grandma’s scraps. Her initial drawing was great and she transferred it on to cloth herself. Then came the hunting for fabric she thought would fit. I did try to have her cut small pieces in order to get the look she wanted. She was very good with Coopers mane, the fabric she chose and cut herself. I did tell her to choose a fabric with what looked like a sparkle for the eyes. She was so happy when she found round circles for the eyes that had a little white in them.



You could feel the joy she felt as she glued her fabric choices she made down. She would jump and spin around and laugh. What a joy! Then like most 7-year-olds she lost interest, a four day project was beyond her at this point. I was determined to have a finished quilt for her, therefore I quilted it as it was. She loved it. The smile on the finished quilt is pure Emmy! This will be something I feel she will always treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment