Wednesday, January 1, 2020

I did work on the wedding quilt yesterday after getting my usual early start to the day around 5:30. While I will not make tomorrow's (self-imposed) deadline, I fully expect to be able to drop it off at Cindy's the beginning of next week.  That will give her several weeks to squeeze it into her queue before her hip surgery the end of this month.  


And who knows, maybe it will be on the frame at the Sewcial (the second Saturday of this month) so the ladies can ooh and aah over it.



Paul and his crew arrived at 7:00 yesterday (it was not very light out) so they could get in their eight hours by 3:00.  They did their usual wonderful job, and things around the property look much tidier.  Unfortunately (and to no one's surprise) there is still a lot more to do. Some of it merely is cosmetic, but one of the elms out front has some overly-heavy limbs up high that need to be removed (before they decide to break off onto the roof) so I have to schedule a second "attack".  Paul is fully booked until some time in February, but considering the ding to my wallet after yesterday that's okay.  At least they provide high quality service!  



Brownie was fine with the guys and all the activity, at least until one of them got onto the roof to blow off leaves, which got his attention!  


Despite the cold Pokey ventured out for a couple of hours, but luckily that turned out not to be much of an issue.  After the gym I had parked out back so we'd have a place in the garage to stash her, though we never needed to do that.  Good thing, because she's a hefty girl these days!



I cooked Tipsy Shrimp for dinner (hadn't made that in a while) and then during the evening we worked on the butterfly puzzle (it's a lot harder than either of us expected, so progress has been slow) and watched some TV.  Disjointed is entertaining, and I made it through several episodes (lasting until 11:30!) before I headed to bed.



No meds, not even when some animal's cry (possibly caught by an owl?) woke me at 4:30 and (after a trip to the bathroom) I decided to get back into bed and try to fall back asleep.  To my huge surprise I did - and <gasp> until almost 8:30!  That is definitely a wonderful day to start off the new year, and hope it's a sign of good things to come!!!



I have been in daily contact with Mary, who is managing to keep her chin up 
despite the current sorrow in her life.  


Love this picture that she sent me yesterday, though the message that accompanied it not nearly so much.  (Kirby had just joined their family in November, and Susan, his vet, is Mary's daughter.)  


You are not going to believe this but after an ultrasound on Kirby it was discovered he has tumors in the liver. Susan has him on Prednisone and his attitude and energy are good. When things stop being good he will be put down. Susan said it won't be too long as some of the tumors are quite large.  I wish I hadn't learned to like him so much.  He has an exceptional personality.

Meanwhile Jack continues to decline. Basically he is good with that and I think he is looking forward to it being over.  If you read this entire email, you will need to have an antidepressant.  I am fine. I have more support than is necessary.  

Looking  forward to making huge decisions, like "Do you think the binding should be blue or teal?".
The best New Year to you both.

Mary is a strong woman (which I already knew) 
as evidenced by her ability to joke about the situation.



It helps that she has a lot of family support around.  Earlier in the day she had written 

Right now I have a house full of football fans and Chinese food for the ASU game. Also 3 kittens Susan is raising from a feral cat near her work. Too cute, and Kirby loves them.  

The picture of Kirby kitty-sitting, which she sent had later in the day, validated both the cuteness factor (though as everyone knows, puppies and kittens only come in cute...) and Kirby's attitude.  He looks like a terrific kitty-sitter!



As always it's extremely difficult to watch a friend go through sorrowful times 
and not be able to do much except "be there" with hugs. 



I've been watching today's Rose Bowl parade, and once I post this will get back to the task of working on the quilt.  Photos later, of my progress on it, are entirely within the realm of possibility <g>, as well as photos of the yard once it warms up enough to venture outside.


No comments:

Post a Comment