Wednesday, January 29, 2020

The ladies at Busy Bees loved the wedding quilt.



I also showed the bright and cheery charity top I'll be donating at the quilt show, and reminded the ladies that if they bring a top they'll get tickets for the sewing machine drawing.  I also mentioned that if they bring a completed quilt they'll get lots more tickets.   And that's when Monica offered to quilt my top for me!  (She'll return it to me next Wednesday so I can bind it.)  I was thrilled with her generous offer, and I told her we'll split the tickets.


Sandy did a demo on hexies and paper piecing. 
(Why was Bobbi's hand the only one waving in the air with questions?)  



There was still an 'opening' for Tip-of-the-Month at the business meeting in April, and I offered to do it with the caveat that I'll be offering tips meant for newbie quilters, things I wish I'd known years ago (and that 'real' sewers probably just assumed "anybody" would know.)  If nothing else it should be good for a laugh for the seasoned quilters!



There were only four of us who'd completed 4 UFOs in 2019, so the odds were good that Laura could pull my name out of the bucket.  But it was Jan who went home with the fat quarters.



Pennie is re-joining the Bees, so I'm hoping at some point she'll do another quilting tutorial.  When she did one years ago I wasn't quite ready to absorb most of her lesson.  This one she brought in today has beautiful quilting, with one side done with a ruler and the other side done free-hand.  They look the same to me!


This quilt looks like a Row-by-Row, 
but is actually a panel that she used to practice her quilting skills. 



Donna scored these nicely quilted panels at Goodwill - for only $3 apiece!




Sharon made this happy pink quilt for her granddaughter.


She had enough fabric leftover to make a lap-sized quilt -


and a baby quilt.


Since she doesn't want any scraps sitting around, 
here's where the rest of the fabric ended up:





Alex spent a lot of time today mucking out the second bedroom at the back house, and then came over to get Tom to help him schlep Mom & Dad's old couch over here.  (It'll hang out in my garage until the end of February, when Elinor & Richard visit and then haul it back to Colorado for Michael & Loretta.)  


I moved my car out of the garage and swept - and when the guys still hadn't shown up I went back to discover that in all that time they hadn't been able to get it through the bedroom door.  They'd even taken off the legs (one of which is currently 'hiding' somewhere), and turned the couch every-which-way.


Eventually they got it into the hallway, but then were fighting to get it out of the house.  We know it went in the house (and then into that bedroom) so it's a bit strange that they are having such difficulty.  In the end they had to take the front door off of its hinges.  The entire ordeal took well over an hour!



At least that room is now useable, though the beds definitely needed changing before all the company arrives. I stripped both of them of their sheets and blankets, along with the bed skirt, bedspread, and mattress pads.  Now I'm washing everything, but even with our extra-large washer it'll still be three loads.



I took Brownie with me to drive the car back into the garage, and he was confused about the short trip.  He sure didn't want to get out of the car, I'm guessing because he thought I was going somewhere and he didn't want to get left behind.



Bruce and his sister Susan just arrived from Quartzsite, and will be taking us out to dinner.  (They're traveling in an RV, so I don't have to get the beds done tonight.)


No comments:

Post a Comment