Sunday, January 12, 2020

I didn't get this posted yesterday because just as I was finishing up writing it Tom called me to dinner. Then after we ate I got sidetracked watching the GOAT Jeopardy competition (which hadn't taped this week, and thus I'm glad Tom stumbled upon the rerun yesterday) until bedtime. FYI I'm rooting for Ken Jennings.  

So here is yesterday's news:


As soon as PetSmart opened this morning, at 9:00, Brownie and I made a run for dog food.  He was out of his afternoon dinner packet, which he practically does flips for.  



Then I got everything packed up for the Sewcial (lots of little UFO projects) and shortly before 10:00 headed to Walmart for buffalo wings and chicken tenders, my contribution to today's pot luck.  But when I arrived at The Pig it looked like I'd gotten the day wrong, because the parking lot was empty.  Turns out that's because Sewcial starts at 11, not 10. 



Did get my stuff unpacked and set up, and then headed over to The Other Quilt Shop for brown ombre fabric to use in the Copper Canyon landscape.  After I showed the woman in line ahead of me the benefits of the Bag she bought one.

When I got back to the Flying Pig this time the parking lot was full, and it was pretty much a full house inside today.  I made up Tyga's snakeskin bandana, and then spent most of my time making the backing for the wedding quilt.   (In case you're wondering, 8 yards is a LOT of fabric to wrangle!) Cindy was appreciative because not having to make the backing will save her the time, and she is definitely under the gun to get things done before her surgery.

Several of the ladies at Sewcial were impressed with the coupons from Bag Day (rightly so!) and planned to stop in there later today and buy a bag.



Barbara brought the book of quilts that showcases endangered animals and plants (she has her camel  in there.)  Sad to see so many threatened species - it's a big book. Some of the quilts are stunning, and I'm going to see about ordering my own copy.



Barb also returned the fabric scraps she'd "borrowed" for her bird quilt.  


I'd forgotten all about them (pretty sure I'd told her I really didn't need them returned) but they did come back with an adorable sequin-covered penguin.     


Did have to leave early so I could unload my stuff, feed Brownie, and then head to the library for the lecture on 150 years of AZ photographers. It was a very interesting presentation (like all the other ones of the series that I've attended) so I was glad I'd gone despite having to miss some of the fun at The Pig.   

For more than a century and a half some of the world’s best photographers focused their lenses on Arizona. In addition to the renowned Edward S. Curtis, Kate Cory lived with the Hopi and represented them in photographs and on canvas, while C.S. Fly gave us the famous Geronimo pictures. In the 20th century Josef Muench’s pictures brought the movies to Monument Valley, Dorothea Lange captured Dust Bowl families, Barry Goldwater depicted Navajo and Hopi culture, and Ansel Adams glorified Arizona’s skies, canyons, and mesas. This presentation’s powerful images make the land and its people come alive. 

Before retiring from the Arizona Historical Society, Jim Turner worked with more than 70 museums across the state. He co-authored the 4th-grade textbook The Arizona Story, and his pictorial history, Arizona: Celebration of the Grand Canyon State, was a 2012 Southwest Books of the Year selection. Jim moved to Tucson in 1951, earned a M.A. in U.S. history in 1999, and has been presenting Arizona history for more than forty years. Jim is an author/editor for Rio Nuevo Publishers, author of The Mighty Colorado from the Glaciers to the Gulf and Four Corners USA: Wonders of the American Southwest.

I will say that the chairs the library provides in that room are incredibly uncomfortable (even with my thermorest) so my back was not at all happy. I was definitely looking forward to soaking in the hot tub as soon as I got home. 



Just as the talk was ending Marcie called with the news that Jack passed away this afternoon.  Mary had told me yesterday that she thought it would likely happen within a week - but it only took a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment