Friday, April 24, 2020

The internet was down in the neighborhood for hours yesterday, starting mid-afternoon, so we had no TV, computer, or landline.  Earlier in the day I had found the next 3 Harry Potter movies to record, but haven't checked yet today to see if all of them made it.  If so, that means now I'll be able to watch the first 6 (of 8) at least.  Maybe by then the library will be open for business again?!



On Wednesday I got some blasts from the past, going through Lisa's 13 photo albums. (After year 13 we switched over to digital.)  


She needed a photo of one of her blanket forts, and even though I didn't remember ever seeing photographic proof  I was certainly willing to check for her.  



Unfortunately I was correct and there was no proof of an activity that she remembers with great fondness - but it was certainly no chore to rifle through the first 13 years of her life.  I especially enjoyed the photos of her with Mom & Dad over the years.



Yesterday afternoon Alex picked 4 more bags tangelos, which I promptly juiced.  Just that morning I'd (finally) found a bottle brush (in the baby section of Winco) so I'd been able to scrub out all the juice containers.  


Despite days of soaking in the kitchen sink they had refused to loosen their grip on leftover pulp clinging to the insides and which I couldn't reach with a conventional sponge, but as of yesterday morning all the jugs were clean and ready for refills just in time. 




I got on the SWA site in the afternoon, and despite them cancelling the flight I still just have one year to use those funds.  At this point the idea of cramming myself on a plane is not appealing (so much so that I'm seriously considering driving to Maryland on my next trip) which makes me wonder if I'll even use my credits in the next year.  Sadly they are not transferable to anyone else.



My knee pain has gotten worse.  Without pain meds (which thankfully are helping somewhat) I basically can't walk at all, and I'm thinking that it's not arthritis but something more serious, like a  meniscus issue.  



FYI - Dr. Bobbi doesn't think it's an MCL sprain 
since there didn't seem to be any "popping" injury.



So back to the meniscus issue.

Left untreated, a meniscus tear can limit your daily life and ability to participate in exercise and sports. In serious cases, it can develop into long-term knee problems, like arthritis. In addition moving around with a torn meniscus could pull fragments of the cartilage into the joint causing larger knee issues which could requiring more significant surgery in the future.

Non-surgical treatment for tears that can heal on their own include:
  • Physical therapy 
  • RICE: Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation
  • Anti-inflammatory medications

I am already doing rest, ice, elevation, and anti-inflammatories.  Guess I'll dig out some of Alex's ace bandages for compression.  If that doesn't help I may end up shopping for one of these real braces.


An initial search for PT exercises brings up much information (and naturally some of it conflicting) so I'll need to do further research to narrow it down to sites that I can trust.  Also plan to check with friends,  like Amy, who have dealt with serious knee issues.



When I first started hobbling around Tom suggested that I "see someone", though I was not inclined to go anywhere near a doctor's office now.  However I soon may have no choice; I cannot stay on pain meds forever, and also do not want to make the issue worse (and possibly no longer 'fixable'!)




Last night I cooked stir fry and rice for dinner.  The stew meat I'd picked up at the store in the morning ended up pretty tough, but I still thought dinner came out tasty.  Tom, however, was not impressed; thought he ate the veggies he left most of the meat on his plate - but at least he hadn't had to cook for a change.



 In the evening, once the TV was working again, we watched a movie.   After 10 or 15 minutes we gave up on the first one Tom had chosen and switched over to "Finders Keepers", a documentary that had us shaking our heads in disbelief.  Mostly it was something to laugh at.

Recovering addict and amputee John Wood finds himself in a stranger-than-fiction battle to reclaim his mummified leg from Southern entrepreneur Shannon Whisnant, who found it in a grill he bought at an auction. Official Selection Sundance Film Festival 2015. Here's the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfZEsctQNCI



No comments:

Post a Comment