Saturday, April 4, 2020

Joy called yesterday to say that she'd left an envelope with $ in our mailbox for the groceries we picked up for her on a couple of occasions.  On a whim I asked her if she'd check with her daughter (who works at Sprouts) to see if they carried matzoh. 


I really wasn't all that hopeful, but since nobody has dropped off a box by my door (like they had for Mom at Riderwood) I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.  


And guess what?


So while (like most people!) I won't be attending a Seder this year, 
I won't have to go without matzoh.



A little before dinner I got a Brownie alert that someone was out front, and made it outside just as Colleen was getting back in her car after dropping off a bag of spools. Dealing with a case of Cabin Fever after being isolated at home the past 3 1/2 weeks, she thought she'd go for a drive.   So we got a chance to chat for a bit across the yard.


Always a prolific sewer, Colleen has really been getting even more sewing done since her self-imposed stint at home (she has breathing issues and thus started earlier than most.)  I learned she made 100 masks to donate before she ran out of elastic. Looks like this woman made quite a few herself!


While I didn't see a post of Colleen's masks, 
I've enjoyed seeing the parade of her finished quilt projects on FB.


While she's been happy to have time to sew, and dispatch quite a few UFOs, the downside is that she has definitely missed seeing the grandkids, with whom she's always spent a LOT of time as a care-giver.  I did have to laugh when she quipped that her daughter, now working from home, is "having a tough time babysitting her mom's grandchildren." <g>



While out with me in the yard as I was chatting with Colleen, Brownie was quite interested in something under a bush.  When I went to investigate I heard a rustling sound, and my first thought was rattlesnake. (It is that time of year, when the weather has warmed up and they come out of hibernation!)  Naturally I immediately called him, and (Good Boy that is) he came right to me.  Luckily it wasn't a lethal creature, just a baby bird that I assume had recently fledged, and after fluttering down couldn't get back to its nest again.  


It was definitely hungry, opening its yellow beak wide 
obviously hoping I'd plop in some food. 


 No nest in sight, no mom in sight (or squawking at me to stay away from her baby.) Since I couldn't exactly help by feeding it milk from a dropper I simply put it back under the bush with the hope that Mom would turn up to help it.

  
When I checked this morning there was no sign of it, 
either under that bush or any other the others nearby.


Maybe it "hiked" and found a bush across the yard to call home, or maybe Mom rescued it after all, or maybe it 'found its wings' and flew up into a tree.  


Softie that I am, I'm hoping that it didn't join the Circle of Life 
and become a meal for a neighborhood cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment