Friday, April 10, 2020

Talked with Perri yesterday, and her test for covid19 did come back positive, just as I had feared.  This is VERY distressing news, since her serious pre-existing condition (multiple myeloma) means her immune system is not going to be of any help fighting this.  

Multiple myeloma is a cancer that forms in a type of white blood cell called a plasma cell. (Plasma cells help you fight infections by making antibodies that recognize and attack germs.)  Multiple myeloma causes cancer cells to accumulate in the bone marrow, where they crowd out healthy blood cells. Rather than produce helpful antibodies, the cancer cells produce abnormal proteins that can cause complications.
Off course I offered to drop off groceries (or other supplies) for her, 
but she said her daughter Lisa will be taking care of that.


Not much I can do besides worry... and we all know I'm good at that!  



Perri's porch was one of my drop-off sites this past Sunday, when we traded puzzles.  She'd left hers outside her door, and knowing she'd been sick I very carefully disinfected my hands as soon as I loaded the bag into my car.  Then when I got home I left that bag in the garage (and then immediately washed my hands) so I'm not worried about me.... just her!  


Last evening Tom and I finished the puzzle we've been working on.  It turned out to be missing 3 pieces (which I've marked on the outside of the box) but also had a piece that goes to some other puzzle.  We've often joked, "This piece goes to a different puzzle" when we have difficulty locating it in the picture - but this time it was actually true!


By now Perri's puzzle should be safe to play with, and working on it will be just another way to keep her in our thoughts as she battles the virus.

No comments:

Post a Comment