Saturday, May 2, 2020

Yesterday afternoon I made a quick trip to the post office, sending off a little something for Lisa and Logan to play with (originally stashed in my gift closet, meant to be one of their Chanukah and Christmas gifts next winter) and another little something for Mom for Mother's Day.  



I had also wanted to send Lisa her flute as a surprise (maybe cooped up with extra time on her hands she'd enjoy picking it up again?) but it's not in her closet; I even had Tom do a search when I couldn't find it.  Maybe she had already taken it with her during one of her visits here?  


So I asked her about it (so much for a surprise) but she doesn't have it.  Her first guess was also her closet, and then said it could be in the garage. Not a good place to keep it (our summer heat cannot be good for the pads!) but until the couch moves out (next month!) I can't get to her boxes out there.   



I have to admit that I'm constantly surprised at the number of people not wearing masks out and about, which yesterday was maybe 1/4 of the customers - and even one of the clerks.   And for some reason "protestors" (but looking to me just like terrorists and thugs that they are) at various state capitols demanding the governors open up their states have "felt the need" to carry big guns to "prove" their point, which seems to be


Here are three of those "good people"


and while this is how many of us interpret their actions 
(compensating for deficiencies in addition to low brain power...) 


 it's truly NOT a funny situation by any means!



I understand that people are hurting financially - yet with numbers of cases and deaths still rising in many states that relaxed restrictions May 1, it's difficult to understand how people think their lives will improve if they or their family members are dead....!



I'm not sure when (IF!) I'll ever feel comfortable out and about again.




From the news I was aware of this salute to "healthcare workers and other essential front line workers" planned for yesterday afternoon.  So when I heard the VERY LOUD low-flying jets overhead around 3:30, I knew what was going on.


Alex, however, knew nothing of the flyover salute.  He had fallen asleep in his hammock reading, and was rudely awakened at first thinking we were under attack.



Incredibly Tom, in the next room from me (with music on) never heard a thing!  His hearing has gotten very bad, though (of course) he denies it.  Alex and I were both incredulous that he missed that noise, which lasted quite a while.  I didn't get up from the couch where I was icing my knee and limp outside because I thought they'd pass by much faster than they did, and it takes some time to unwrap the three very-grabby Velcro straps.



Several days ago I graduated to using just one crutch, which of course makes things much easier, having the use of one hand to carry things.  But this morning Tom is dealing with another gout attack, so he may be putting that side-lined crutch into use.


Getting older may have its perks -
but painful body issues is NOT one of them!


Just recently he'd had his (phone) follow-up with the "goutologist" and reported all was well.  Guess the universe took that as a challenge?  



Tom is still planning to head to Oregon next month for his annual fire obisidian dig.... though that's rather tricky to do when you are in pain and can't even walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment