Monday, May 18, 2020

Tom was making a quick run to the grocery store yesterday when he saw some workers in Dave's yard and hired them to come over here.  Recently Tom had noticed that hidden in the dense foliage of the large "bush" between the front and back yards were a number of large heavy limbs "resting" on top of the wrought iron fence, pushing on it and bending it.  Once we became aware of them we didn't want to wait until next fall to deal with those aggressive limbs so I had asked Alex to saw them off for us.  He did agree to take care of it, though it hadn't yet happened.  


The two guys did the job, so the fence should be happier - though until some sections fill in there's a definite visual "gap" to the hot tub. 


limb 1

limb 2

limb 3



I remember how mom tried to grow ivy on the brick wall on "my" side of the house when I was growing up, but she never had any luck.  I used to think it was just too shady, but the ivy from our planter has 'escaped' and seems happy enough in a spot where it doesn't get any sun.

 Here's the planter that backs onto the garage 
(FYI I had just swept there yesterday...!)


and here's the escaping ivy through that green gate where Pokey seemed headed:



As long as the guys were there with a chain saw (Tom's quit working a long time ago) I suggested cutting back the fast-growing odiferous purple bush outside the back door that (despite my frequent trimming) was once again rubbing against the roofing.  (It had looked dead all winter and we thought about removing it when Paul's crew was here for those two days.) At least that's now done.... at least for the moment.  I think that plant gives bamboo a run for the money for how quickly it shoots up.




Marcie had some things to bring over in the afternoon, like the Games insert from the Sunday newspaper (should keep me busy for a while) and some more wonderful scraps from her most recent completed top that will "likely" show up in one of my projects at some point.  


The silver on the black fabric is sparkly, and perfect! 
Glad Marcie was able to locate some after seeing it in one of Perri's projects.



Of course Marcie's quilt is stunning, but between the pattern and the fabrics 
(and her careful paper-piecing) I knew it would be.   


While I did have my phone out front with me I didn't snap a photo to share here 
since there was the breeze which made the top keep flapping around.



Marcie already has the backing, but not sure who will end up quilting it for her since Cindy is (finally) scheduled for her major foot surgery tomorrow.  Her recuperation/rehab for that is expected  to stretch out much longer than what it was for her January hip surgery, so it will likely be many months before she's able to work again.



Tom joined us while we visited on the front porch, since seeing a "new" face is very exciting these days.  Unfortunately I expect things to remain this way for some time because even though Arizona's official stay-at-home restrictions have been lifted MANY of us (who have been watching the numbers sadly continue to rise) don't feel safe "taking advantage" of the reopening of our state.  

Protest in Arizona as state lifts COVID-19 restrictions

Protesters in US state of Arizona say end of lockdown there will have deadly consequences.



With the gyms now open Jim texted me yesterday to see if I wanted to be put back on his schedule - but I told him I'm "not comfortable yet" doing that.  See above!

No comments:

Post a Comment