Saturday, July 13, 2019

Yesterday was a lazy day (like most of them here!) so by the time I headed up to the pool mid-afternoon it had clouded over.  I wasn't in the Apple Pool 5 minutes when it started to sprinkle. 



 Brownie, a true Arizona dog, was not happy with that wet stuff falling from the sky (actually rather upset) and since I could see the sky was totally socked in it seemed time to head back.  During our walk to the house the sprinkles turned into a light rain, though the thunder (and thus lightning) held off until we were safely inside.  Obviously I need to get an earlier start up to the pools today!



Creepy had not been happy when I left, and yesterday Tom tried to address the situation.  Unfortunately despite his efforts he couldn't make the pump happy, and with the monsoon threatening he needed to get that taken care of asap.  I gave him Rod's phone number, but haven't heard back yet whether the problem has been solved.  We certainly don't want to have to deal with something like this!




I wrote a couple of newsy letters to Logan at camp, 
and was happy to hear that they were appreciated.

Logan had a great time at camp and liked getting mail from everyone, thank you so much! He had a great time and "did not want to leave" and is asking to go to the same camp again next year. 
Highlights: He is very proud of himself for making a tough 5 hour hike up Black Mountain. He made lots of good friends, including some girls (!!!). He got to clean up after baby piglets, bottle feed a baby goat, take a baby cow for a walk, and see a newborn sheep. He met a ram named "Gordon Ramsay." He says the food was good. He did not like singing all the silly camp songs. Those are the details I got!
He seems to have had a great time and built up a lot of confidence. Kids at camp liked him and thought he was funny and fun. He also had a clear sense of ownership and confidence knowing about the farm animals and the way the farm works. 

He heads off to another camp in a few days, so I'll be writing him again.  Of course I don't expect any return mail, but wonder if Lisa got any!

Brownie's appetite is off - he didn't finish off Wednesday's food until Thursday night - so it was especially strange that when I forgot to feed him yesterday afternoon (with my cell phone off for the duration of my stay I don't have the alarm to remind me) he never mentioned it.  Latina: take note!  He did, however, eat most of his breakfast this morning.



Terry and I thought about walking up to the pavilion for the music last night (Blues Recluse was playing, and Cheryl was going to stay with Neil) but by the time the band started around 9 neither one of us was so inclined.  I was happy stretched out on my bed reading (book club here is in a couple of weeks and I want to be ready) and could hear the music through the windows.  Have really been enjoying the book from page one, and since it's historical fiction I now have my selection for our book club report in the fall!


An extraordinary story of passion, art, and intrigue, this novel journeys to a time and place in Italy where desire reigns supreme―and salvation is found in the strangest of places.
Beauty can be a gift―or a wicked temptation.

So it is for Filippo Lippi, growing up in Renaissance Florence. He has a talent―not only can he see the beauty in everything, he can capture it, paint it. But while beauty can seduce you and art can transport you―it cannot always feed you or protect you.
To survive, Pippo Lippi, orphan, street urchin, budding rogue, must first become Fra Filippo Lippi: Carmelite friar, man of God. His life will take him down two paths at once. He will become a gambler, a forger, a seducer of nuns; and at the same time he will be the greatest painter of his time, the teacher of Botticelli and the confidante of the Medicis.
So who is he really―lover, believer, father, teacher, artist? Is anything true except the paintings?


Was up from about 2:30 until 4:00, and had just about given up on falling back asleep when next thing I knew it was after 7:00.  Going to be a Seitz dinner party again tonight, so I'm glad I should be able to stay awake!

No comments:

Post a Comment