Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Brownie's new Colorado ID tag was MIA (it had been in the car console, which of course I checked very carefully.... several times!) so I had to stop at PetSmart on my way out of town yesterday and make a new one.  (Sadly they were out of the red fire hydrants but Brownie took it in stride.)  I assume that since I made a duplicate the original one will turn up at some point.  



Brownie was a very good traveler yesterday, settling down right away as if he knew we were going on a long trip.  Surprisingly, most of the time he opted to ride in the back instead of in his bed on the front seat.  I stopped several times along the way to walk him (my new dog bag works much better since I shortened the strap by about 12") though I'm pretty sure it was more a matter of me needing to pee than him!


 
Just as I crossed the state line into Colorado I had my first peek at some snow-covered mountains in the distance.  We made it to Cortez after an uneventful drive (except for gas station cluster-fuck in Tuba City that made me cranky.)  I picked up a RBR at the quilt store and  then checked in to a Best Western with a very nice dog-walking area.  We got a pet room, wisely not carpeted (though it must have been thoroughly cleaned since my little guy did not even think about lifting his leg in the room.)



I was tired (a spate of too-early mornings will do that) and just vegged in the room watching TV, where I grazed dinner from the goodies I had packed in the little ice chest.  Early on I found myself too tired to blog, struggling to stay awake until a 'reasonable' hour - which turned out to be 9:30.



Another 4:00 morning.  Sigh....  I stayed in bed for a while, but finally gave up.  When I walked Brownie it was still dark out, and chilly enough that I was glad to grab my sweater from the car.  There was heavy dew in the thick grass, but Brownie didn't seem to mind getting his feet wet. Yesterday I went through a drive-in at Cameron, where the highway crosses the Little Colorado, for some caffeine (aka Dr. Pepper) to help with the afternoon drive, and I may need to do that again today.  



It's still too early for breakfast (that doesn't start until 6:00) but the buffet should be open by the time I shower and dress.  I'm not in any rush since I'd like to hit the two quilt stores in Durango.  Of course if I get there before they open (10?) I could always pop over to the park where the kids used to take a much-needed break on our summer trips and maybe catch some kayakers on the river. 

No comments:

Post a Comment