Friday, July 19, 2019


I had noticed Hilda's toenails when I helped her get dressed, and they were in serious need of attention - party due to her age (96) but mostly genetics. (Possibly "onychogryphosis, a condition  most commonly seen in the elderly.") Since the nail salons won't touch them Terry had gotten a pedicure device, with 10 attachments, though she hadn't yet used it.  So yesterday afternoon I spent an hour and gave Hilda's toenails a first pass.  I was worried about the two nails that grow straight up, almost like horns, but all went well and Hilda loved how much better her feet felt afterward.  There is still a lot more to be done - but we have plenty of time!  Once I get her nails under control I will work Neil into my 'schedule'.



Brownie ate something in the yard that he shouldn't have, and yesterday morning was eating grass, and throwing up (on the carpet upstairs, of course.)  The good news is that the carpet is a mottled brown, and also that the carpet cleaner worked reasonably well.  But the best news is that between all the animals here over the years the carpet is already in bad shape, and Terry has plans to take it all out "soon" (I'm guessing once Hilda's room construction project is complete.)



Around lunchtime Brownie (on a short leash) was whining at Shadow to play. He, of course was not at all interested in the invitation, and headed through the cat door to the basement., but unbeknownst to Brownie was waiting at the top of the steps. When I let Brownie off the leash he immediately went to check - and next thing he knew a paw came shooting through the opening.  Though he got a paw to the face he was more surprised than hurt, so maybe Shadow didn't have his claws out.  I couldn't see the interaction from my vantage point at the dining room table, but it sure gave Terry a laugh from hers.



No weather rolled in yesterday afternoon, so around 3:00 I was headed up to the pool.  Terry suggested I leave Brownie here, so I did.  Also left behind my camera, which I realized shortly after I left.  Since I figured there wouldn't be that many photo ops so didn't bother to head back for it.  Wrong!



There were adorable "old-fashioned" kid inflatables, and 6-month-old Kit was smiling and laughing as his mom swirled him around in the giraffe one.  Sorry I didn't get a pic, Mom!  (There was also a frog, and last weekend had been a toucan and llama.)



There were lots of dogs (potential friends?) hanging out in the shade at the swimming pool: a handsome golden retriever, a cute white fellow (Harpo), and an adorable little black ball of fluff.  Eileen and Mike were in the pool, and they introduced me to their friends.  Later, when Gordon and Chi-Chi were in their chairs on the deck it turned out that the ball of black fluff was their pooch.  I asked what their dog's name was, and when they said Pika, I remembered meeting him before!


Going to look for the book Gordon is reading:



Spent some time with Audrey, with Down Syndrome and some other issues, who started out quite nervous in the pool, clinging to mom Brit.  However we was soon had her relaxing on her own on the step, laughing and enjoying the water.  She is non-verbal, and I practiced the little bit of sign language I remembered. 



Last night when Brownie and I got back from our walk Terry thought Shadow had already gone down into the basement, so I let Brownie off the leash.  He went right over to Neil's bed, and was peering underneath it, and yep, Shadow was under there.  Brownie got into a play bow, and then lay down on the floor quietly, and the two of them stared at each other (quietly) for about 10 minutes until Brownie started 'talking' to Shadow (inviting him to play?)



This morning when we came downstairs I hadn't yet had my coffee (usually I do that up in the bedroom first thing but I'd been up during the night and thus slept in) and didn't make Brownie stop and stay at each landing.  Shadow was in the kitchen entryway, and of course Brownie spotted him right away.  He did trot up to Shadow calmly, but once he got close Shadow bolted, and the chase was on.  Sigh...














No comments:

Post a Comment