Thursday, September 10, 2020

 I put in considerable work on the Back 40 hedge before it got too warm out there in the sun.  There were loads of thick unsightly beige lantana stalks, some a yard (or two!) long, sticking out, and now those are gone.  And while I did uncover the baby oleander (gifting loads of the cut grass to the horses next door) I didn't quite finish.  But at least now the little one can get the benefit of the morning sun.  (I left the lantanas behind it, hoping that after irrigation on Tuesday I'll be able to pull them out by the roots.)  Once that part of the yard is out of the sun this afternoon I might finish up sawing out the grass, but for the time being I'll be looking to work in the shade.


Also need to trim back the cottonwood suckers (again)
before they get too unmanageable.  


Now that fall is approaching (at least that's the rumor.... maybe by Halloween?) I need to schedule this year's appointment with Paul and his crew.  The line of trees along that center ditch is on the list to get some needed pruning this year.  Last year, even spending two full days here, the crew couldn't get to everything.  Maybe this year we can get away with just one day?


They do a wonderful job - but certainly are not cheap!



Pokey moved on from sunning herself to rearranging the furniture on the patio.  I have NO idea why she wanders there this time of year; her winter crate spends spring, summer, and most of fall in the garage, and there's certainly no food up there.  (I did pour a bunch of fruit/veggie goodies onto the grass for her this morning.)



Despite the dearth of rocks the past several years at Glass Buttes, Tom was obviously hopeful; he took most of his buckets with him.  However there were still two left behind, and wanting to take advantage of the cool(er) weather (and the fact that I have a chiropractor appointment tomorrow) I went to get some dirt this morning to fill in this mosquito trap.  (We can always use more dirt.) 

 

Of course mindful of weight, I barely put much dirt in the buckets, so even after making two trips I probably ended up with one full bucket of dirt.  


While that spot could use a little more (and how much may be more apparent after the next irrigation) it obviously does look better.  Every little bit helps!




No comments:

Post a Comment