Sunday, February 2, 2014

I have a little breathing space this morning
so it's time to catch up a bit on the past couple of days.

Patti arrived around lunchtime Friday, and we pretty much picked up right where we left off 40 years ago!  (Last time we can figure we saw each other was at a June wedding in 1974.)  Unfortunately the scanner has become unconnected somehow and I'm waiting for Tom to get a second to figure out what's up with it; otherwise I'd be posting our senior pix from high school.

I'd whipped up my tuna salad and sliced up a cantaloupe, and showed Carlo that I do know how to 'cook'...  Crystal, who arrived with Quinn shortly after Patti did, had absolutely no idea that Patti and I had just recently reconnected - she said later it seemed like we'd 'been friends forever'.
  
Then there was show&tell of my quilts (Teresa had already seen them, so she was the official refolder) for Patti and Crystal and Susie, which we were just finishing up when it was 4:00 and time for the smoked brisket.  I think by then we had about 15 people, and we were able to eat out on the shop deck, although it was cloudy and cooler than it has been.  The brisket was delicious (no surprise there) but for the first time it all got eaten.... so no yummy leftovers!

Afterward there was a wonderful concert.  John & Cindy had had their band for many years, but Chuck (from Portland?) had never played with them before - although you'd never have known it!

It was pretty much a rerun of the previous Friday's party, though with some different folks.  Patti wanted to know if we partied like that every weekend! <g>  Nope, just during the Quartzsite month.  Osha is also visiting, and is a wonderful dog.  Here she is enjoying the music after a busy day of hanging out in the yard and communing with Pokey.

Osha's eyes are brown (you can see that in the pic above) but you'd never know it from this picture.
(That's her mama Crystal next to her, and a very relaxed Tom - 
the bar is that table on the left just barely visible, and it did a roaring business.)

Crystal and Quinn have one of the commercial mines at Davis Creek (where Tom gets all of his great knapping obsidian with incredible colors) and both Patti and I were recipients of great gifts!  sorry, no pix

Saturday morning was the 'Museum Tour' (I'd given Patti the nickel tour the day before, but that morning she got the real thing, along with Crystal and Quinn, from Tom.)

Patti had to blast out at noon to meet a friend (from nursing school) for lunch in Gilbert.  I was very sorry to see her leave, although we're definitely going to stay in touch; and on the plus side, I was able to meet Mary and Heather after all for the 1:00 showing of Philomena at the AMC right near us. It was excellent, and reminded me of a powerful movie (The Magdalene Sisters) Mom and I had seen at the Palm Springs Int'l Film Festival in 2004.  I recommend both movies.



Mary has hearing problems, and used to get the headphones when we went to the movies.  But now there's something better - your own personal closed captioning device!  I was going to just share hers, but when there was a problem with hers and she had to go exchange it she also brought one back for me.  I loved it!  It fits snugly into the cup holder, and the goose neck is bendable so you can position wherever it works best for you.


Last night we hung out in the hot tub, and then this morning I zoomed to the store and picked up some ingredients and started a big batch of spaghetti sauce for dinner tonight.  There will be a crowd here to watch the Super Bowl, so the next thing on my agenda is to clean up my quilt table so Tom can fold it up.  I'm not that interested in the game, although the commercials are usually good.  But this year they're actually showing some of the commercials ahead of time on the 'net.  As usual, Budweiser has some good ones.  Below is the 2014 Clydesdale one in case you haven't yet seen it.  I'm sure the pressure was on after the great one last year, and I wondered how this year's would stack up - but they managed to pull it off again!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQB7QRyF4p4

Estera called yesterday - Bennie needed his trailer back.  I was actually surprised when I got back from Quilt Camp and it was still here.  But I've been a little too busy (!) to shovel any more of the dirt, which I'd still like.  My idea was for Bennie to borrow Tom's trailer, which is what he did.  So over the next few days I'll be shoveling dirt (in dribs and drabs, with many hot tub breaks) using up as much of the dirt as I can.  I do plan to scoop a little more dirt each time than she does...!


Somehow it seems like I've missed some stuff - that's what happens when I have to wait a few days to blog - but I really have been on the go constantly.

And now I have to go muck the sewing table.  Not my favorite thing to do.  Maybe this guy can help?



No comments:

Post a Comment