Thursday, January 30, 2014

Today's smile:  I don't know if wombats are usually placed in the cute category - but this video sure is!  

Yesterday morning was the Busy Bees business meeting.  I wore my new scissors, and they definitely got a reaction.  Carolyn is going to borrow them for an upcoming quilt retreat.

We had a number of charity quilts come in, although not nearly as many as in other months.  Guess the ladies were a tad busy with 'other stuff' over the holidays!  Here's charity chair Monica with one

and Peggy with another.

 (Lisa and Alex had a baby quilt made from that teddy-bear-with-balloons fabric, so this one brought back memories.)

This was a memory quilt that had come in (to Monica? to Melissa?) to be quilted.  (I hate it when the ladies hide behind their quilts; this was just yesterday, and already I've forgotten who was holding it!)  The quilt was made from pockets of a man's shirts, many with his name and aviation info.

Pennie whipped this up on her embroidery machine.  She's starting another 'class', and maybe I can get in on it and learn a thing or two.

And check out this jacket she embroidered for their restaurant.

Monica scored this hand-quilted hexie at an estate sale.  She had gone back 4 times (there were so many great deals) and ended up purchasing this on her last visit.  Turns out she hadn't planned on buying it, but the sellers were motivated to get rid of EVERYthing... and how could Monica pass up a $2 quilt?!

Sandy, well known for her hand-pieced hexie quilts, finished up this UFO.

The January class was a Hunter's Star.  Susan brought in this one she'd made some time ago.

I was sorry I didn't have my embroidery quilt to share (since it now resides in California) but I did have the wall-hanging top that I finished up at quilt camp, of which the ladies approved.  

I also had a 'Tell' about the Road to California show, mostly of the 2 dozen or so river quilts from Sacramento.  Each of the quilters was given a section of the river, a piece of the same river fabric, and the 'incoming' and 'outgoing' river dimensions.  The quilts were then lined up along a wall with the river parts matching up.  It was incredible how different each section of river looked despite using the same fabric.  What creative quilters!  I couldn't figure out how to photograph it so I didn't even try.  Wish I had!

Yesterday afternoon I had my annual Well Woman check-up; glad that's over for the year!  Then I came home and pretty much relaxed. (Watched a few more episodes of Dexter.)  Carlo is visiting from Idaho and whipped up a delicious dinner; he's a wonderful 'guest'!  He even offered to do the dishes, but I'd rather not wear him out; as long as he's cooking that lets Tom off the hook! And we all know that any time I don't have to cook I'm happy - plus we eat much better!)  Wish I could find the picture of me wearing this apron Mom sent me one year...

  Today is my day to get organized.  There's a long list of stuff to do around the house, and I'm looking forward to crossing at least some stuff off of it.  I'd be a fool to think that I will get everything done, but now that I've finished posting for a bit I can get on with it.  (The second load of laundry is already in, so that's a plus!)

More knappers are 'moving in' today, and Patti will be visiting tomorrow.  Tom's going to smoke another brisket tomorrow and that always attracts a crowd (Alex will definitely make it over to eat on his dinner break!)  I think some of the bluegrass musicians will also be here again.  The weather continues to cooperate (we're running about 10 degrees above average, and January is already balmy here), so even if we're 14 for dinner again like last Friday it won't be a problem seating everyone outside.

Forgot to mention that I'd asked Tom to be on the lookout for some small hemostats (they'll work better for my embroidery machine than the tweezers) and he found a pair of 'gold' ones with a curved end for me at Quartzsite.  So now I'm all ready for my next project!

And that's it for now.  
If' I've forgotten anything important <g> I'll just have to add it later.

No comments:

Post a Comment