Thursday, January 9, 2014

I started getting "inquiries" when I didn't blog the past couple of days.  
All is well, I've just been busy.  

Monday's visit to the oncologist was 'boring' - all tests, scans, etc. are good.  I haven't been a very exciting patient, but from my standpoint, of course (duh) that's wonderful.  I did find out that I'll remain on the 4-6 month schedule for several years, though it could be worse.  

Tuesday I worked out with Jim, mostly on balance items like the balance pad
and the BOSU ball

I did better on both of them than either of us expected from a 'first timer' - so maybe I'm not so off-balance as some family members might think? <g>) 


I finished up my session with 5 minutes on the rowing machine; I managed to keep rowing at a good clip (the machine, of course, keeps track) but am not sore today, so next time I'll shoot for 10 minutes.  

Wednesday was the first Foothills meeting of the year, with me as their Fearless Leader again.  It was a long meeting (January usually is), so I hurried things along as best I could.  Poor Robert must be turning over in his grave, although none of the ladies complained!

We signed up 3 new members yesterday (they had all attended the November program/potluck and obviously liked what they saw.) After the meeting (before I joined the ladies at lunch at the Corner Bakery) I dropped off more Foothills cards at Quilters Bee, which could bring in yet more fresh faces.  It's always nice to add new faces (with additional skills, ideas) to the group.

Sharon had made the cutest penguin snacks - 
too bad olives are on my 'yuck' list!
(Luckily there were also brownies and a delicious fruit salad, 
so I didn't starve.)

Linda wore her new shoes that Rick got her for Christmas.  
They are nice and bright and everyone loved them!

Recently we lost one of our cherished members, Linda Hynick.  The ladies are making star blocks to create comfort quilts for her husband, children, and grandchildren.  Here Viola shows one of four tops that is ready for a border.

Last year Sharon volunteered Foothills to make up one of the QUINDOW quilts for the 2nd Annual AQG Quindow Scavenger Hunt in March before the big quilt show.  Remember, 'some' lucky person (I WON! I WON!) will win a sewing machine!  Our group was assigned Queen Pizza, so Sharon found a perfect pattern and whipped up this raw edge applique block as the demo (that's a piece of pizza fabric in the center.) Now she just needs volunteers for the remaining 11 blocks before the next business meeting.  (Sadly I have way too much on my plate between now and then, including Quilt Camp with Jeannie and a trip to California.)  Sharon has graciously agreed to put the quilt together and quilt it before the March 1st deadline.

During our meeting there was a new bag program by 3 of our old bags members.  Louise demo-ed fanny packs, Judy brought in a computer bag (which she has taken apart and is redoing because her new computer is 2 inches wider), and Jan showed several variations of mesh bags.  I enjoyed seeing the bags, but it's probably no real surprise that I found myself confused during many of the steps and would need some written instructions with step-by-step instructions/diagrams before I'd feel confident trying one.

A couple of Louise's bags (I should have flipped over the wild one to show pockets)
  
Judy made these stripped embellishments for the front of her computer bag.

The flower Jan made for this bag was a nice touch.

This smaller one is perfect for her granddaughter's ballet shoes and tutu.

Carolyn certainly made use of some small scraps to make her lovely jacket.

Ruth was not the only one who had to 'borrow back' a gift to show yesterday. 
(I think this went to her DIL.)

Darlene shared a scrappy star quilt

and used up more of her leftover fabrics on the back.

This lovely quilt of Mary's had a story.  (Most quilts do!) 

See the strips of red squares with the off-white triangles?  They were originally made for another quilt.  But when Mary tried them, the off-white 'screamed' WHITE and didn't work.  She is having to redo them for the other quilt, which she says we will see 'eventually'. 

Sharon is always busy.  This was a gift for her daughter.

And another completed project.

"And if you cut the blocks wrong, you get a table topper."

We were so glad to see Butch make it to the meeting.  Admittedly she is moving VERY slowly, and I can really relate to her misery.  In fact I'm hoping she'll give Arrowhead PT a try since nothing else has seemed to work for her.  Check out this butterfly quilt she scored - while it looks antique, it's actually new.

And a completed 2013 BOM by Viola.  

We should have some more of these dribbling in in the coming months, but Viola is first.  She says she started putting the blocks together on New Year's Day.

Of course I"m always inspired and motivated after a quilt meeting.  Once home (after a lovely, lingering lunch) I managed to miter frame 5 of the 6 embroidery blocks (and start on the 6th one) before I ran out of steam.  At least I have (finally!) learned NOT to try and push forward even when I'm close.  All that causes is a lot of OOPS, which in turns causes mega frustration - and then results in lots of time-consuming frog stitching!
  

Today Tom is off to Quartzsite for the day, and I have nothing scheduled (although depending on how things go I may possibly hit the gym later today) so I really hope to make substantial progress on the Casa Puente quilt.  

Yesterday I spoke with Marcela and firmed up plans for my visit the end of this month.  How nice for me that SWA is running their $69 special this week.

Even if it's not finished (though I really, really, really hope it is) I'll bring the quilt with me to show Ramona (and the other residents.)  We'll be celebrating Ramona's 49th birthday while I'm there, so it'll sort-of be a birthday gift.

And now it's time to get stuff done.  And who knows?  I might even have enough progress today to post a picture of the project, so maybe check back later!


No comments:

Post a Comment