Friday, December 14, 2018

Wednesday was my last day with Mom.  Rachelle's tulips are opening nicely!



After Marilyn asked if Mom had gotten her annual box of oreos yet, I dragged the mystery box out of the back of the closet and opened it.  Sure enough, that's what was inside.  Of course I immediately opened one of the cartoons to administer a taste test.  Anyone surprised that they passed?



In the afternoon I accompanied Mom to her doctor's visit.  Since she'd had to get up early (Juana came to clean) and was scheduled to play bridge that night, Andy had suggested that I take her in the wheelchair.  It's just collecting dust in a corner even though they're paying the rental on it, but with a little arm twisting I was able to make Mom see that it was a good idea and would help marshall her strength.  It was certainly a breeze to push, though we "scared" people we passed who know Mom and thought something had happened to her!



We made great time over to the medical center. Even stopping to chat with the "elf" at the gift-wrapping station (that's a nice service!) and one of Sue's friends we bumped into at the events board, we got there early.... though they took us right in.



I'm happy to report that most of Mom's labs were good.... except for one. She's even more anemic than at her last visit (when her count was quite low) so her homework is to remember to eat more protein.  No wonder she's been so tired!  It's especially concerning because fainting can be one of the 'by-products' of anemia, and certainly no one wants to increase her risk of falling!!!


It was hard to leave that afternoon.



Hopefully Mom will follow the doc's orders and push the protein (and Andy and I can certainly tag-team nag her about that!) and feel energetic enough to schlep out here in a few months.  Of course I will fly out there in May for her birthday and Mother's Day.



Andy had worked from home on Thursday, so there was already a fire going when I got back to Mink Hollow.  I packed, pigged out on a delicious farewell dinner (salmon, rice, broccoli - and of course dessert!) and went out in a blaze of glory when I won both games of rummikub.



Thursday morning I left for the airport much earlier than Andy thought I needed to; as he pointed out, I am definitely my father's daughter!



But that meant less stress for me, especially when traffic came to a halt on the highway, and then was stop-and-go for a bit after that.  I was also taking an unfamiliar route; Andy sent me a new way so I would not have to make the left merge from 32 onto I-95, ending up in the fast lane with all the aggressive rush hour drivers.


There was no problem returning the rental car, the shuttle to the airport was at the curb waiting, there wasn't much of a line at curb-side check in or at security, and my A 46 number "guaranteed" I'd get my seat of choice, the aisle in the next to last row.  A mom with two young boys sat in the row in front of me. The younger brother, who I guessed (correctly, as it turned out) to be three years old, cracked up everyone within listening distance once they got seated, when he asked, "Is this Phoenix?"



 Happily it was an uneventful flight... the best kind!  I got more reading in, things moved quickly after we landed, and I was home in a very timely fashion - and was surprised that I'd beaten Tom by about half an hour.  Turned out that his flight had been delayed.  Another surprise was that they are resurfacing the streets in our neighborhood, so one side of our street was blocked off.  Paperwork left on the door warned us not to drive on the new stuff, so wondering how we are going to get out when they do our side of the street (today?)



I was home early enough that Marcie and Latina could come over for a visit (yes, Mom, it was warm enough that we sat out back in the yard.)  Pokey seemed to have done just fine while we were gone, and the new "door" I'd put on her crate was still working fine.  When Tom arrived he joined us out back and caught us up on his trip to California, which went well though sounds like it was GO GO GO for his entire stay.   And apparently he was a big hit with The Q-Man, despite "being so old".



We picked up our mail (and packages) that Joy & Dick, across the street, had collected for us, and I had just enough energy to pay the important bills yesterday.



Since there was no food in the house (Tom is threatening to go grocery shopping today) we went out for an early dinner.  I, of course, had packed plenty to eat for yesterday's flight and noshed my way across the country, but Tom hadn't eaten all day.  We went to nearby Chili's (his suggestion, though we soon remembered why we don't go there) and I had a delicious hamburger in Mom's "honor".



While we were waiting for our meal to arrive at the table Bennie called.  He was trying to drop off some smoked sausage Estera had made, but no one was answering the door.  (Hard to do when you're not home!)  By then it had cooled off enough for him to leave it on the table outside, and it did smell yummy when I brought it in after we got home.  But since Estera had made it with a mixture of beef and pork Tom will have to eat it all himself - though maybe there will still be some left by the time Alex gets home in another week?



I took a soak after we got home, which was lovely - though so relaxing that I thought it wise to concentrate on not dozing off!  Did watch for the Geminids, but didn't spot any.  

The Geminids will peak the night of Thursday, December 13 through the morning of Friday, December 14 with between 120 and 160 meteors per hour, according to Bill Cooke of NASA's Meteoroid Environment Office. Despite the frigid temperatures you'll have to endure, the Geminids can put on a breathtaking show with its bright meteors flashing above up to twice per minute. 


Then I forced myself to stay awake until Mitch finished work (his current job is way over in Apache Junction) and came by to pick up a partial-payment check to buy materials.  He plans to start on the patio "roof" on Monday, and hopes to finish it before the end of the week.  That would be a nice surprise for Alex to come home and find it done!


Alex's Instagram yesterday was a spectacular winter wonderland - the snow and ice on the trees were quite dramatic - and his caption said it was the best snowboarding conditions ever!  (Too bad I can't capture a photo from Instagram to share here.)   Shortly thereafter, when he called to see how our trips had been, he said it's known for its excellent "champagne" powder snow.  From the pictures it was obviously extremely cold since the only thing uncovered on his face was his nose. He sounded wiped out - and in fact when he got off the phone with us he was heading over to Strawberry hot springs.  (My visit there was some 40 years ago!)  His return home has been pushed back another couple of days, never a surprise.



I crashed early last night (NO surprise) and logged a good night's sleep, so I should be in fine form to get lots done today.  There is the gym this morning, assuming I can get out of the driveway; looks like they are preparing to do our side of the street this morning.  No surprise that with all the eating I did over the past ten days my scale here at home registers another 4 pounds.... <sigh>  (Sadly I still hadn't lost the 6 that Terry put on me over the summer!)  In the afternoon I see the chiropractor.  While I'd made that appointment before I left "just in case", I'm actually feeling pretty good - though never hurts to get a tune-up!


Other things on my agenda including unpacking and laundry, watering plants, filling the hummingbird feeders, making phone calls, ordering some holiday gifts, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment