Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Mitch made considerable progress yesterday (he had lights with him and worked until dark:30) and is doing an excellent job.  For example, instead of measuring one support post and then cutting all the rest to the same length (which Tom has seen others do) instead Mitch measured each separately.  Lining up the cut-off ends shows that the cement pad, despite its appearance, is not actually level.  I did take a photo, but my laptop won’t turn on this morning <SIGH> so I have no way to share that photo - or any of the other pix I took documenting the progress.  Also means that I can’t load vacation photos into e-mails and send them off, at least until I can corral someone to figure out the problem; anyone have a small child they’re not using today?)

The good news is that Mitch says the construction should speed up now, and he expects the job to be finished this week.  Have not let Alex know that the work has started, so he should have a nice surprise when he arrives home.  Not sure when that will be (possibly Friday?) or even how he will be getting here.  When he left he had no idea whether he would be dropped off via vehicle or end up flying home with all the crowds traveling for the holidays.

Forgot to mention that yesterday Mary snagged a few extra sets of chopsticks at lunch for an upcoming family gathering that will feature sushi, at which point I asked if there would be any kids present.  When it turned out that the answer was yes, I offered her our connected giraffe and elephant chopsticks for them to use.   She swung by the house to pick them up, pronounced them adorable, and said they will definitely be a hit.  Kids always want to mimic adults, right?

The tree trimmers have arrived.  LOTS for them to do, and it’s entirely possible that Paul’s crew will run out of daylight long before they run out of foliage. Still remember Bailey’s comment from many years ago about how nice it was that there wasn’t much upkeep needed for the property!

Alex posted some great pix on Instagram of him and friends at Strawberry Hot Springs, surrounded by massive amounts of snow.  Looks a ‘bit’ <g> too chilly for my taste!  I’ve asked him to send me pix, though of course I may not be able to share them any time soon.

Keeping an ear out for Pokey to warm up enough to leave her cozy crate and make an appearance in the yard, at which point she will be “encouraged” to wander into the garage (I’ve already moved my car out of there) while the guys are working in the yard today.  Not only will gates be open, but I don’t want any falling limbs to land on her, or for one of the guys to trip over her and hurt himself.  Pokey may not be thrilled with the absence of vegetation in the garage, but will just have to be satisfied nibbling on the lettuce and other goodies we have for her.

Now back to binding until it’s time to drop off my car for its (free) oil change.

No comments:

Post a Comment