Thursday, July 29, 2021

 I forgot to mention that Alex "fixed" my car window Tuesday evening.  He rode in the backseat when we went to Habit Burger, and discovered that his window wouldn't go down either.  He suggested that maybe the Kid Lock had been engaged (in the 10 years or so that I've been driving that car, I didn't 'realize' I had that option...) and sure enough it was.  Sure saved me a lot of money, because now it's just that right outside mirror that doesn't work electronically - but it's set for me which is all that truly matters, right?



Mary had said Susan was going to try to send out a daily diary during their Africa trip, and this morning the first week's worth of daily messages greeted me.  WOW!  Susan's first e-mail 'apologized' for all the detail (requested by her friends) but reminds me of my blog <g> and is certainly fine with me!


Their trip to Zimbabwe (near Africa's 4 Corners) took several days and had its share of stress (though most of it was entertaining in the telling) so it's not surprising that Susan wrote she was glad to finally arrive and put themselves into the hands of the tour group.  


The place where they are staying looks incredible - quite the comfy 'hut'! Though it is open air, and since it's winter there it's chilly they're grateful for the warm comforters and hot water bottles.  


Upon arrival they were informed that they "can’t use the pool for a couple of days because elephants have recently used it."  Their group (the first visitors there since Covid started) sounds compatible, and is only ten people (instead of the usual 22 because many had cancelled due to covid concerns.)  The meals sound incredible - and the pictures certainly seem to prove it!  At one point "the chef was busy keeping monkeys away from the buffet", and on another afternoon Susan “had to fight a monkey over my cake”.  She did mention that many of the animals seem quite curious about the people since they haven't seen any tourists in 18 months. (No mention of penguins... <g>)


They have seen an incredible range of animals as they "drive on something reminiscent of a dirt road", and the pix Susan has taken with her phone are amazing.  She also has a 'real' camera with her, though those pix (expected to be better, which is hard to imagine) won't be shared until her return to Arizona.


During their initial safety lecture they were warned that lions see the jeep as an animal – that is unless the occupants move and show the lions that there are prey aboard.  So they have been warned that if a lion is spotted they are to remain very still. Sounds like excellent advice to me! 


I'm thoroughly enjoying Susan's wonderful photos of elephants, giraffes, a jaguar with a fresh impala kill, a hippo family ("at least eyes, ears, noses"), LOTS of different birds, etc.   Though many of the bird species Susan listed are unfamiliar to me (and sound quite exotic), the guides got excited when some very rare birds were spotted.  Apparently bird watchers from around the world come there hoping to see them but are all too often disappointed.



Yesterday I finished up the dark green borders on the fishing panel, which is when discovered how I'd sliced through the panel - because (incredibly!) I managed to do it yet again!

Laying out my long strip across the center fold to measure and cut 

I (obviously!) got too close.  

At least from now I am FULLY aware of that possibility 

(though amazingly it's never happened before.) 


Naturally I will be MUCH MORE CAREFUL cutting from now on!!!



However at that point I decided it 'might' be wise to quit for the day. 



So instead I opted to veg on the couch and watch the Olympics in between working some on the puzzle.  Ours may not be quite as difficult as this puzzle... but it's close!




I have PT this afternoon, and am excited to 'show off' my latest walking skills!  It is still painful when my good foot misses a step and puts more weight on my right one, which means I will be cautious about what exercises I attempt today. 

 


Obviously I do NOT want to cause another month's setback!

No comments:

Post a Comment