Friday, November 13, 2020

 Paul's tree crew was hard at it all day yesterday, until almost 5:00.  The front yard looks wonderful, but those two huge Chinese elm trees took up the lion's share of the day. 

 

An incredible volume of limbs were pruned back and fed into the chipper, but since the trees don't have that chopped look you'd never know all the work that was done unless you watched as it happening.

 


Working on the smaller tree on the east side:




The larger tree, on the west side BEFORE -


and AFTER.


So while there was also some progress in the backyard, the crew never even made it into the Back 40 to prune the trees along the ditch (Alex moved for boat for 'nothing'), or whack back the overgrown hedge.  Today I will be calling Deb to <sigh> schedule a second tree-trimming marathon.


 

At least all of the lantana plants and the 'leftover' palm tree roots (after my hard work out front) along the drive-through fence have now been removed. so in combination with the manicured olive trees the front looks quite spiffy. 


Thursday was a warmer day than Wednesday, when Pokey had ventured out to eat. Thus I had expected her to want to cruise the yard again and was vigilant about keeping track of her whereabouts - but she stayed 'inside' all day. Today is going to be warmer still, and with that trend continuing over the next several days we will once again be bumping 90 by the beginning of the week.  Not sure if temps will stay warm through Thanksgiving, though over the years there have been a number of time we were able to feast outdoors poolside.  


Would love post a pic of one of those times, but now that my laptop no longer has a place to insert a CD I realize I have no way to access those older photographs I've stored over the years.  Obviously I will need to find "someone" who can load them onto an external flash drive for me. 


I was able to access the AQG's Zoom presentation yesterday morning before Alex appeared (as requested) to help.  As he had predicted it was quite simple using the handy dandy link provided in an e-mail from AQG.  


He did show me how a few 'options' worked, though when he started to roll his eyes after I asked a question I reminded him that this was my first time on Zoom and to please remember that.


Though I've made the (traditional) Disappearing 4-Patch block several times, as well as the Disappearing 9-Patch on occasion (and was also familiar with the other blocks Brita 'disappeared'), I did enjoy her variations on them.  Who knew? <g> 


There were over 100 women from AQG attending her presentation, though I only knew Louise and Sharon and Lynn.  From the comments afterward it was apparent everyone seemed to enjoy it. However I could see why some of her 'explanations' were confusing to those unfamiliar with the blocks, and don't think Brita's ever taught Special Ed.... <g>  In fact I actually unmuted and jumped in to 'explain' one of the questions, because from Brita's initial 'answer' it was obvious she misunderstood what was being asked. 


 And for my simple help clarifying the question 

I got a thank-you from the woman asking it.


Brita's presentation did help to get me jazzed up to start sewing again.... 


Now I'm planning to try some of those new variations 

to whip up a few sets of placemats for holiday gifts.  


This was one of my favorite pattern from yesterday.


Yesterday's blood draw at the lab in the afternoon went better (and way faster) than last week's at the PCP's; I was in and out of the lab in about 10 minutes.  The only surprise was that after the phlebotomist removed the needle the insertion point kept wanting to spurt a little blood - which has never been the case before.  Often I don't even really need a band-aid.  Happily a little pressure did the trick.  


I dozed through part of last evening, through the ending of one movie and the beginning of another. But likely due to a string of too-early mornings I still had no difficulty falling asleep in bed by 10.  After a 3:30 bathroom run I took a magic pill, and then slept in until 7:30, so I expect to have a bit more energy today.




Tom has gotten his website up and running (with Lisa's help) to sell a variety of products (wall prints, face masks, puzzles, stationery, mugs, clothing, beach towels, etc.) adorned with the images of his fire obsidian.  Even if you don't want to buy anything, you should still enjoy the gorgeous photographs of his work.

https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/tom-dodge/shop 


In case people haven't noticed, today is Friday the 13th.  So while I'm not superstitious, it doesn't hurt to remember that of course it is 2020. 





Which means that today I am NOT going to ask

No comments:

Post a Comment