Friday, November 13, 2020

Getting ready for my first set of placemats, I went through my lumberyard pieces (cut and stashed years ago) and pulled out a group of blue 2.5" squares.  Then to go with them I cut a stack of  2.5" squares from my stash of white-on-white fabrics.


Before I started sewing, I knew I needed to clean my machine.  

I took my time and removed a considerable amount of fluff, and then put the machine back together.  Unfortunately like virtually every other time I've cleaned my machine, it wouldn't sew.  After taking it apart and cleaning it again, it still wouldn't sew.  But by hand-turning the wheel with the covers off I discovered that the bobbin thread was catching on a narrow strip of felt that is velcro-ed on. By simply moving that over a teensy bit the thread was happy again.

Feeling proud of myself for figuring it out.


It didn't take too long to whip up my first batch of 4-patches.


After I disappeared one, I did need to access Brita's link to rearrange the 9 pieces into the correct configuration.  Maybe at some point it'll become intuitive? 


I thought I was being really careful when I sewed them back together -

but when I went to attach the final strip there was obviously an issue.


That's because the center 4-patch was no longer oriented correctly.



Of course that did not make me happy. 



So after I take a break I have a date with Jack the Ripper.

No comments:

Post a Comment