Monday, May 6, 2019

On my way to see Mom this morning I stopped in at the ENT office (not far from Riderwood) to see about making an appointment to get Mom's ear wax removed.  She thinks her hearing aid is broken, but after putting in a new battery today I heard the tell-tale whine so seems to me it's working; I'm guessing she's just plugged up.  Having been totally deaf in one ear since childhood, she's understandably very protective of what little hearing she has left in the other ear and won't let just anyone dig around in there.  



After explaining to the scheduler that Mom had ended up in the hospital 6 weeks ago, right around the time her last appointment was scheduled, I was told that the first available appointment wasn't until the end of May.  She can't wait that long!  It isn't a very long procedure, and I said I'd be willing to bring her in and wait for an opening.  Long story short: I held my ground and begged, and now we have an appointment for early Thursday.  The scheduler cautioned us to not be late, and I assured her we'd be early.  Just hope the staff at Arbor Ridge cooperates and has Mom ready for me at 8:30 as requested! 


While Mom finished her therapy I made arrangements with the social worker for ordering the hospital bed, and then shuttled over to the apartment where I picked up Mom's mail (lots of birthday cards), her rollator, and did some other assorted things.  Unfortunately I left my thermorest on the shuttle bus, but eventually tracked it down later in the day.



Mom's rash looks MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better today!  
Apparently the steroid cream did the trick.



Mom was off the oxygen today, and did just fine.  The real test will be tonight, when they are going to see how she does overnight without any.  IF that goes well, she could be going home on Friday!



After lunch I spent most of the afternoon running around campus taking care of other things (and spent a lot of time waiting on the shuttle.)  Unfortunately the trip to the medical center to have her hearing aid checked didn't work out because the audiologist is only there on Wednesdays.  However I'm hoping that once she has her ear reamed out the hearing aid will work just fine.



Scrumptious dinner tonight (incredible chicken in the smoker, and a wonderful salad) and then some Rummikub.  Andy, as he often does, won both games.



I've been sneezing today, am a little congested, and have watery eyes.  HOPING it's just allergies (everything here is blooming madly) since I wouldn't want to be spreading any germs around Riderwood.  Took a Claritan and hope to be all chipper tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment