Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Yesterday I was jazzed up to start binding, but first there was the issue of locating my binding bag. 


Maybe <g> it's time to muck my sewing area yet again...? 


Then once I did finally 'rescue' it (from where it had been hiding, under a pile of fabric) the baggie of clips that should have been stashed inside turned out to to be MIA.


I limped along with 3 miscellaneous clips that had gotten lost from the baggie

and did manage to get two sides completed. 


While I was sewing I was also 'watching' a movie, 2010's Robin Hood, with Russell Crowe and Cate Blanchett heading up the cast. 

Because I didn't have my eyes glued to the screen it took a couple of scenes before I realized that one of his band of men (Will) was Scott Grimes, who played Dr. Archie Morris on ER.



When the news of Derek Chauvin's guilty verdicts on all three charges was announced yesterday, in the initial second or two I experienced a certain degree of surprise despite (along with the entire world) having gotten to watch George Floyd's murder on tape!  

Darnella Frazier, the teen who filmed the killing of George Floyd with her cell phone, received widespread praise following the conviction of former Minneapolis Police Department officer Derek Chauvin on Tuesday.

Let's face it - does this photo of him (easily worth a 1000 words!) with his hand in his pocket and his glasses resting comfortably on his head look in any way as if he's struggling with a dangerous perp, or that his actions "needed" be taken because he was concerned for his own safety? How many minutes did he continue to keep air cut off from a subdued, pleading, and eventually unconscious Mr. Floyd, all while ignoring multiple anguished pleas from the crowd (one a nurse) to please help him?

FYI the following police report has been circulating on FB (though I haven't able to confirm its veracity since I couldn't find anything about it on SNOPES) and definitely provides a much different description of the incident than her video proves!   


Of course I'm pleased with the verdict (though waiting to hear what his actual sentence will be) but obviously my initial reaction of surprise proves just how much faith I've lost in our justice system. 



An e-mail from one of my Busy Bee quilter friends (she's been checking up periodically on my foot progress) arrived yesterday, saying she'd 'done me one better' and included her very unfortunate news :

I fell hard onto asphalt last Friday and am in a rehab hospital diagnosed with a dislocated shoulder, badly bruised hip and several broken bones in my pelvis.  Presently I cannot make it from bed to wheelchair without assistance from at least one person.  Isn’t life 🤩  I hope your foot is still healing well.  Carol

Seems as if news of falls and broken bones is almost becoming a daily occurrence...



I'm still thoroughly enjoying the Code Smasher book.  I have always enjoyed working word puzzles, math puzzles, logic puzzles, etc.   Cryptograms, with which I have experienced substantial success over the years, are certainly included in that list, and it's no wonder that felt pretty pumped up when I came across some very impressive numbers.

As in say, over 403 septillion!

or, to be more precise, 403,291,461,126,605,635,854,000,000!


I haven't done the math, but the statement "a thousand computers, each testing one million alphabets per second, would take more than a billions years to exhaust the possibilities" IS certainly mind-boggling!

No comments:

Post a Comment