Wednesday, April 7, 2021

 Even though I woke up too early, at 4:00, I still figured today was going to be a wonderful day.


My stitches are scheduled to be removed this afternoon!


So I got a fairly early start to sewing.  For some reason, again the first seam of the day wasn't happy,  which meant right off the bat I had the seam ripper out.  No biggie.


BUT when I turned on the iron to press my seams it wouldn't heat up.  Its light was lit so I knew it had power, though I still tried turning the power strip off/on (that didn't work) and then moving the dial on the iron itself to off and then on (but that didn't work either.)

Luckily I knew I had a replacement iron, a boxed Black & Decker, that I'd picked up at some quilter's getting-rid-of-stuff sale.  BUT the dial (inconveniently located where the handle blocks its 'markings') does NOT have any actual word/number markings on it, just tiny hash marks; my dead one had a (very!) helpful 'cotton' setting.  


Also, among the boasts on the box ("Smartemp system provides precise temperature control; nonstick soleplate for effortless glide; spray mist helps erase tough wrinkles") there is no mention of an automatic shut-off.  I was very happy that my dead one shut off after 30 minutes of inactivity, a great safety feature.


Obviously I need a new iron!

No comments:

Post a Comment