Sunday, April 18, 2021

Just as I was about to head out to read yesterday Alex appeared with his lunch (what he terms a Chipotle bowl) and kindly offered to whip me up one.  It was yummy, and not at all surprising since the ingredients are composed of lettuce and cilantro, his diced marinated grilled chicken, his citrus rice, black beans, salsa, sour cream (and possibly other goodies I've missed?)

Definitely on a par with this "crunchy vegetable salad" impostor...


I was hooked on my new book yesterday simply after reading the preface.  


The story alone sounds impressively intriguing (and informative) and the author is definitely a talented writer.

There's really no way to write about Elizebeth Friedman without making it a thriller; like many great people caught up in great events, there's a sense of serendipity in retrospect.


Tami called yesterday to "check up on me" - and at one point I totally cracked her up when I proved to her how small my my life has shrunk over the past four months; I've been reduced to getting excited about a candle, which BTW ended up burning until mid-afternoon, about 45 hours.

The use of a yahrzeit candle is a widely practiced custom, where mourners light a yahrzeit candle that burns for 24 hours on the anniversary of a death.



Last night's movie selection (forget the actual name of it...) featured the Mandela Effect - so of course after we finished watching I just had to check on a number of the examples, like the Monopoly Man and Curious George...


Rich Uncle Pennybags is the mascot of the game Monopoly. In large parts of the world he is known, additionally or exclusively, as the Monopoly Man, or Mr. Monopoly, and is depicted as a portly old man with a moustache who wears a morning suit with a bowtie and top hat.   His first appearance was in 1936, when he began showing up on the Chance and Community Chest cards.  There's just one issue: He never had a monocle (though if asked I would have said he did...)



Curious George was born in 1939 as a secondary character named Fifi in the story Cecily G. and the Nine Monkeys by Margret and H.A. Rey.  I have very fond (and vivid) memories from childhood of Dad reading me numerous Curious George books, and if asked I would have said George did have a tail since I seem to "remember" him swinging by his tail.  But guess what?

1 comment:

  1. I think you'll be super excited to hear the real story of how Curious George came to be. https://tracingthepath.libsyn.com/curious-george-almost-wasnt

    ReplyDelete