Thursday, June 6, 2019

With the yard still seriously under water yesterday there's no telling how long I'll have to keep the dog door closed.  This morning it appears that most of the water has soaked in, though we'll have mud around the fence line for some time to come.  


When I let Brownie out back yesterday morning I went also, and while he was taking care of business (I hoped!) I felt obligated to do some weeding.  Never that much fun, though the good news is that virtually all of the thick weeds pulled out with their roots intact.  Naturally I barely made a dent in the total crop, but at least it does look better around the pool.  I may <g> be losing the war, but I keep waging battles.



Before we came back in I not only had to wash off my feet/legs but of course Brownie's.  Dangling my legs in the pool by the step I discovered the water temp had risen considerably in just the past few days.  It has been warm, and yesterday we topped out at 102, with no real relief in sight until Halloween....  


Brownie didn't seem to mind standing on the step being bathed, and while I certainly rinsed a lot of mud out of his forepaws his back ones were surprisingly clean.



Today was another 4:00 morning <sigh> so I should have time to get in some more weeding out front before I head to the dentist later this morning.


I did manage to take an hour-long nap yesterday afternoon, which helped me stay awake at Book Club last evening.  The array of salads was most welcome now that the heat has arrived - and Myra's four desserts were incredibly scrumptious, as always.  While I enjoyed the chipotle/chocolate cookie, the cherry tart one may have been the best cookie ever!  The actual book discussion was somewhat abbreviated, which was fine with me since I didn't really enjoy My Dear Hamilton.  Now I can return that book to the library, and pick up the latest one waiting for me:

Fall and Rise: The Story of 9/11 by Mitchell Zuckoff


"...spellbinding, heartbreaking, and ultimately uplifting narrative 
is an unforgettable portrait of 9/11."


Masterfully weaving together multiple strands of the events in New York; at the Pentagon; and in Shanksville, Pennsylvania, Fall and Rise is a mesmerizing, minute-by-minute account of that terrible day.  This is a difficult read, but a detailed and comprehensive account of the events of that day. Indeed, author Mitchell Zuckoff is clear that his book concentrates mainly on the events of the day itself, although this obviously does involve some background information. The acts of heroism are humbling, the personal stories heart-breaking, the events still so shocking that they rush you right back to that time, when the world watched, and mourned.


I enjoy Susan's blog, and this posting is a clear explanation 
of why value, not color, is the crucial element in her art quilts.


No comments:

Post a Comment