Saturday, September 29, 2018

Shortly after I got home from the gym yesterday, Wanda texted to suggest lunch once she finished at the chiropractor.  I ended up dozing on the couch during the hour I was waiting for her arrival.  And even though the house phone woke me up twice, each time I fell right back asleep.  Marcie was available to join us since her doc appointment wasn't until 2:30, and the three of us returned to Saffron, the Indian restaurant at 43rd & Union Hills, for another delicious meal at their Friday buffet.  We three left there quite stuffed, but "somehow" once back home I found room for dessert, the "used" chocolate cake Wanda brought me.


  
Back here we did some Show & Tell.  Marcie had her quilt (with the binding, label, and sleeve for me to attach) and Wanda had her Tula Pink 100-block challenge, made from Kaffe Fasset fabrics. 


She also brought along the book that Jo Ann Rice, one of her Delightful Quilters friends, had surprised her with a couple of days ago.  What a wonderful gift!  


It's full of pictures of Wanda and her DQ friends, with many of her quilts.  I especially loved seeing pix of the Arizona Centennial quilt when it was on display at the Capitol in DC - and this winter we hope to make a trip down to the Tucson museum to see it again on display there!  Can't find my pic of the front, but here's the back of the two-sided quilt:



 I got some advice for my outer borders, which I had planned to start yesterday afternoon.  But once the ladies left, I crashed on the couch until almost dinner time, making it quite obvious I would need to halve my new sleeping med dosage!  Of course I did not get any work done on the quilt borders as planned.  


Naturally I was somewhat worried about whether I would be able to sleep last night after so much daytime sleep yesterday.  But I'm very happy to report that I managed almost 8 hours <yay!> proving that a single .5 mg tablet is still enough to do the trick.  And that dosage did not put me in sleep mode during the day today!  



So I was able to get the outer borders almost done today; unfortunately I ran out of Michael Miller black when I got to the last step. (Still, it's almost done.) That meant I needed to make a run to the quilt store for some of that, and also to JoAnn's for flannel for the backing.  And Marcie was agreeable to being my partner in crime. 


Flannel, not that expensive to begin with, was on sale (50% off) - plus I was able to use a 25% off on top of that - so they practically paid me to bring the flannel home!  And Marcie also found some perfect flannel for Baby Castellucci's quilt, next in line.  So even though I haven't started that quilt yet (maybe on Monday?) I already have the backing for it.



Irrigation in the late afternoon yesterday went well, though once the water breeched our center ditch we ended up letting it go ten minutes early.  Still, the front yard got a better drink than usual, so everyone's work up-ditch definitely seems to have improved the flow.  (After all the pipework is done we may even be able to cut back on our time?)  This morning Steve yanked out all the shrubbery in the ditch next door (and also in the horse pasture), which certainly should improve the water flow even more.  He also actually started laying their pipe, and as much progress as he's already made we expect him to finish that by tomorrow.  Not sure of Steve's timeline, whether he'll end up having time to start ours tomorrow or have to wait until next weekend.  But things are definitely moving along!




No comments:

Post a Comment