Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Services yesterday were held at Mountain Ridge HS (not far from here, on 67th Ave.) in the auditorium.  I wondered if parking might be a problem, having forgotten that school would closed for Fall Break Day; Patti had mentioned that last week.  Of course last week was also a short one for the kids, due to Labor Day.  According to her, what with early dismissal days and holidays sprinkled heavily throughout the year's schedule, she said they hardly have any full weeks of school.  She and I agreed that maybe if they quit closing for this and that, they wouldn't have to start the school year so early; this year the students were back in classes on August 9, with the teachers having to return on August 2, and the office staff in July!


Services were through Chabad, so I guess I shouldn't have been surprised that there were separate sections for men and women (a curtain was hung in the middle of the auditorium to separate them)  though admit I didn't like that.   The real surprise was when a woman with a stroller came in and sat down in front of me... which was when I discovered that it didn't contain a baby, but a small dog!  The pooch (a Yorkie?) was quite well-behaved - and adorable - though I wondered what would happen during the blowing of the shofar.  Have to admit it didn't let out a peep or make any type of disturbance, though she did have it on her lap then.  The children, who were brought in for the blowing of the shofar, weren't quite as quiet.



Got home just as Alex was finishing up mowing the Back 40.  Definitely needed it, and of course now looks much better.  He and I hung out in the pool for a bit.  The water is still registering 90, though felt cooler than it had been, and took me a second or two to get all the way in.) Then we went out to lunch before he had to finish cleaning and packing.  His flight left early this morning, so he spent last night in Tempe.  Originally he had asked if I could give him a ride over there in the late afternoon so his car could stay parked here for the next couple of weeks.  Of course!  But in the end Aja came and picked him up after work so I didn't get to play in rush hour traffic after all.

  

FYI Alex doesn't think I need to rip out the L in the bib, which also was what Marcie opined.  I'm thinking I'll go ahead with the last couple of letters, and then see how my mistake stands out and if I still need to 'erase' it.




I got the last couple of borders on the chicken quilt, so now just have to piece backings for both to be all ready for Thursday.  Also finished binding the mystery quilt, though need to attach that label.  Got out the bag of Steve's t-shirts I brought back from California, and plan to start on the memory quilt for Marcela so I can get that to her in time for the first anniversary of Steve's death this December.  His t-shirts were not as colorful or "fun" as Elinor & Richard's, and of course it's for a sad reason, so that quilt may not be quite as much fun to work on.



Today is Mom & Dad's wedding anniversary, and would have marked 69 years .  On that fateful day in 2001 they were on a cruise (which had left NY harbor two days earlier, but had to dock elsewhere on its return) but obviously their planned day of celebration took a very somber turn.



Time for breakfast, then I'll head off to the gym.  After that I'm meeting Mary for lunch, when (hopefully!) I won't be aromatic! Then a trip to the grocery store.  Tom should be arriving home tomorrow, and the frig is looking a bit empty.

No comments:

Post a Comment