Thursday, May 26, 2022

 Alex called from Vegas Tuesday afternoon to let me know he was heading for home, and arrived as predicted around 8:00.  He said he would stop for dinner on the way (and he did, grabbing a burger in Kingman) but still had room for some of the split pea soup I'd been crocking all day (and which I'd been enjoying throughout the afternoon and evening.)  

The afternoon/evening was spent in horror after learning of the Uvalde slaughter of a class of 4th graders. TEN YEARS since Newtown, and despite fact that vast majority of Americans (and majority of NRA members) want sensible gun legislation, still nothing has happened. 


Of course there are the usual idiotic 'solutions' being put forward, like arming teachers.

 Police officers were initially unable to stop the gunman who was wearing body armor when he killed 19 children and 2 teachers at Uvalde elementary school, officials say. This is exactly why arming elementary school teachers is folly. If the swat team can’t shoot through some maniac’s body armor, what chance does Mrs. Crabapple down the hall have? Until these weapons of war come with some responsibility attached to them, nothing will change. There is absolutely nothing we can do after a shooting has already happened. Deterrence comes before.



And speaking of hypocrisy...

at the NRA convention, which starts tomorrow, guns will not be allowed.




First thing Wednesday morning Alex checked on baby birds.  They haven't seemed to be very vocal, so I wasn't sure how they were doing.  But they look okay.

On my way to quilting I filled up with gas, and it cost me over $75 for 3/4 tank.  Prices are high everywhere, but for some reason gas in Arizona is higher than in most other states.



At Foothills I finally connected with Ellen (the third time's the charm) so she now has VOS top. Marlys had brought the sewing machine lights we'd all ordered, though I haven't put mine on the machine yet. 

Marlys, Ellen and Carole were making up block kits for the Opportunity quilt.  I love the fabric choices, and look forward to making up a block (or two.)




 

Barb was there, so I put in a request for a 'spider' baby next time she trims her plant.  Sadly mine (photo from 2014) is no longer with me - and look how tiny the Wandering Jew volunteers were at that point. 


 Kathi wants some Wandering Jew for her mom (who has a green thumb) and wants to try one herself despite her brown thumb.  

Made a quick stop at Winco on the way home, and got more compliments (from strangers) on the  purple/black dress I was wearing.  Several of the ladies at Foothills had commented on it. 

In the afternoon I did a little sewing yesterday on Mia's baby quilt, having figured out a pattern where I don't have to square up the center portions.  'Crisis' averted!



I also started going through stack of quilt books/magazines.  A growing pile of books is slated for donation, plus I ruthlessly tossed ALL the magazines!


Marcela called to let me know that she's coming to town for the holiday weekend, and Plan A was to get together at Sally's on Saturday.  Brownie went with me last year, but his attendance this year depended on how Dan's current back yard construction project (involving cement) progressed.



Tim sent an update Wednesday evening, letting me know he's hoping to locate the motor/pump replacement today; just not sure in which work truck it ended up, and of the crew take those trucks home.  If he can locate it he thought might be able to come by and install it Thursday.




Paola was happy to hear yesterday that we at least had had someone come by to look at the equipment, and said maybe next time she comes to clean the pool Creepy will be running?  

That is definitely MY hope!





Mary is also seeing very slow progress with regard to fixing her current problem.  



Next step is to meet with the surgeon on June 20, and assume at that point they will schedule her surgery.  Obviously there doesn't seem to be any hurry to fix her heart, which I guess is a good thing since means they don't think it's an emergency situation.  Still she isn't going to start feeling better until after her mitral valve is repaired, and so would like that to happen yesterday.


Thursday I got an especially early start to the day.  I'd finally gotten more bird seed yesterday so was able to fill the feeder out front, trimmed another salvia plant since the ones I'd cut back just last week are now full of the bright red flowers the hummers like, and then tackled the lower portions of vitex out back.  I swear it channels bamboo with regard to speed of growth, so the organic can is filling up.  Alex will get to trim the upper portions.

My new trainer, Antoine, had me do a variety of things to see where I am, and was duly impressed with my capabilities.  Now he can set up an actual program, which we'll start next week.  He says he'll be sticking around; we shall see!

Alex (and I) gave Brownie a bath this afternoon so he looks/smells better.  Now if the medicated shampoo would just eradicate his itching!)


My get-together with Marcela this weekend has been moved to Sunday, which is fine; the weather should be somewhat cooler and more pleasant for sitting around the pool.  And Brownie will be able to come; apparently there won't be any wet cement!



I had to do some ripping today, which slowed down my progress ~

but block construction should move along faster now that I've figured out the malfunction.  

No comments:

Post a Comment