Saturday, June 12, 2021

Mary and I were successful with our errands.  At 35th Ave. she found a happy backing for her current baby quilt -


and I almost got out of there with only what I'd gone in for, the Dopey Dots <g> 
but I just couldn't resist these two fat quarters.



At my suggestion we lunched afterward at Las Glorias.  Mary hadn't eaten there before, but agreed that their food is delicious and said she'll definitely be going back.

Our final stop was across the corner, at Bookman's. I purchased a gift certificate (my main reason for going) and also found two copies of Ella Minnow Pea that I'd been wanting.  One is for a gift, the other I'll keep and read again.


Ella Minnow Pea is a girl living happily on the fictional island of Nollop off the coast of South Carolina. Nollop was named after Nevin Nollop, author of the immortal phrase containing all the letters of the alphabet, “The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.”

Now Ella finds herself acting to save her friends, family, and fellow citizens from the encroaching totalitarianism of the island’s Council, which has banned the use of certain letters of the alphabet as they fall from a memorial statue of Nevin Nollop. As the letters progressively drop from the statue they also disappear from the novel. The result is "a love letter to alphabetarians and logomaniacs everywhere."


Now I plan to rest a bit before I tackle the quilt or attempt a workout in the pool.


No comments:

Post a Comment