Sunday, February 2, 2020

Yesterday's quilt show at the Lakeside Rec Center in Sun City was larger (and better) than I expected.  Sandy had two quilts entered, though I only 'found' this one:


The way she worked up this tree is how I have envisioned creating the foliage in the foreground of my Copper Canyon project.




Of course I took lots of photos at the show, more of which I will share at the end of this post.  I also bumped into several ladies from Foothills and Busy Bees.


Afterward Marcie and I lunched at the Olive Garden (where we chowed down on the never-ending soup and salad option) so we'd have "strength" to shop at TOQS.  After two bowls of soup, two breadsticks, and a hefty plate of salad I felt fully charged - but then had no room left for some of their yummy chocolate dessert, which is what virtually always happens.



I wanted to use this week's coupon (30% off on pre-cuts) for some B/W batiks that I've had my eye on for over a year.


And HOW could I not pick up these new yummy landscape fabrics?  Bought a yard of each, and think they'll come in very  handy (and be perfect!) in future projects.


Also grabbed a couple of panels, including this fun jungle one.  I've been collecting panel ideas for a while - and eventually <g> will get around to using some of them!


Still, Marcie "beat" me at the cash register... she usually does!



By the time I returned home mid-afternoon Alex had already left for Scottsdale (where he'd spend the night before blasting off for California early this morning) so I headed over to do some things to get the house ready for Jimmy's upcoming arrival.  One of the beds is now made up, I swept out the room (it really needed it!), and did some more rearranging.  Now all of Alex's extra stuff is stacked reasonably neatly on one side of the room (the closet is already crammed full with his stuff), and while it's not the Hilton at least that bedroom is now functional for visitors!  Once I get the second set of bedding off of the recliner and make up the trundle bed (we often have last-minute 'surprise' guests needing a spot to crash during the rock shows) that recliner, no longer buried under Alex's stuff, will be useable!


As requested Alex had given the second bathroom a bit of attention - but (not surprisingly) I think it could use some more.  So when I head over later to make up the second bed (and return the load of towels I washed last evening) I'll take care of that.



And now some pix from yesterday's quilt show!


The first room displayed the 2019 Challenge.
(Someone really needed to proof-read the rules!)


And this is the fabric.  

(Wonder if it actually says anything?  Will see if Bekkah knows!)


This entry got my vote -


though I also thought this one was well-done:



Several of the women had appliqued their initials and the date onto their quilt, which I think is an excellent idea.



I appreciated this group quilt in Canada's colors,
made in celebration of the 2017 anniversary.



And this block 'may' turn up in one of my future quilts.



No doubt this guy quilt of Favorite Things was a hit (for her hubby?)
 despite the spelling error!



I've seen quilts made from some "different" materials, 
but this one using hats was certainly a first!





Here's one for Mom -


and one for Marilyn.





Sandy is a snowman person, so when I spotted it I figured this cutie might be her other quilt - though as it turns out it wasn't.





I'm always on the lookout for creative sashings and borders - so the one around these embroidered snowmen is definitely going into my file!



Here are some happy gingerbread houses -


not surprisingly made by someone named Diane.



The monkeys on this one made use of some fun embellishments -





These cheery flowers employed yarn embellishment around them.




I like the secondary star pattern in this Snail Trail.



A cozy flannel teddy bear quilt -




Two different star rows were effective here.



One way to honor your family in a quilt -




I've seen a number of quilts using this cardinal panel, and think this is one of the best.   Of course it's hard to go wrong with Flying Geese blocks.



This is a just a basic panel and companion fabric, but I liked it; reminded me a bit of the one I made for Andy & Sandy's beach house with the old fashioned children.



This music quilt has some wonderful fabrics in it!





Birds popped up in a number of quilts:









Naturally other animals were in attendance -






I'm often drawn to quilts from photographs, 
and these granddaughter cowgirls proved no exception.



Also liked this 3D creation of quilts within a quilt.



Definitely not all the photos I snapped - but I'm done with this post since I really should get going on some other things.

No comments:

Post a Comment