Tuesday, August 28, 2018

I woke up quite early yesterday, so guess it was no surprise that I was dragging in the afternoon.  Actually dozed off for about 15 minutes while watching TV - until the exterminator rang the doorbell.  



Glad I slept until a more reasonable hour this morning.  Interesting that too much sleep seems to be as bad as too little, though I don't seem to be at much risk for getting more than 8 hours sleep.

Sleep has recently emerged as the most crucial element of well-being, given that a poor night of shut-eye can ruin your mood, destroy your next-day workout, increase your risk of heart disease and dementia, inhibit your ability to retain memories and learn new skills, and even make you gain weight. You’d think that since it’s so beneficial for you, getting as much sleep as possible is a good thing, but an increasing body of research shows that getting too much sleep is just as bad for you as not getting enough.



Sleeping in <g> until almost 7:00 meant it was a tad hotter by the time I made it outside to fill up the now-empty can - though with much of it already raked it didn't take long.  The trucks also picked up our bulk trash yesterday (and hopefully got around to the rest of the neighborhood after that.)  Sure looks trashy right before our quarterly collection, though around here it seems to be mostly yard debris, and this time a lot of downed trees from the monsoon.



Then spent part of the morning on the phone with different people at UMB, trying to figure out how to get me registered so I can access the video lectures for the torts class.  Still no progress on that front - though at least I'm on the prof's e-mail list; I got a notice from him about tomorrow' class!



I was surprised that though my legs complained during Friday's workout, they were not especially sore on the following days. 


So I didn’t expect problems at the gym, and started my usual warm-up routine of five exercises.  The first four went just fine, but during my first dead-lift I pulled something.  So instead of an upper body work-out, Jim just had me do a series of stretches in hopes of minimizing later pain.  Once home I spent most of the afternoon on the heating pad.



Did drag myself off the couch to go vote.  My polling place was just a mere two blocks away, there was no line, and I was in and out in about 10 minutes.



Alex arrived home, but asked if we could do dinner tomorrow.  I had planned to cook Terry’s shrimp dish tonight, but with my hip/back so unhappy I was just fine with putting it off for a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment