Saturday, October 30, 2021

 Yesterday I needed to pick up a book from Perri, who said she'd be "receiving" any time after noon, so I headed to the Runners Den late morning (since it is sort-of near her neighborhood.)  New shoes has been on my To Do List ever since I noticed my big toe trying to poke through an increasingly threadbare spot on the top, trying diligently to morph into an actual hole like this one.  


Replacement shoes took on considerably less urgency after my accident in December, but now that 'winter' will soon be upon us (and I'm walking!) they floated toward the top of the list.  


I wore my new shoes out of the store, and on the plus side I don't think they'll take much breaking-in. On the down side there wasn't much of a color choice - in actuality there was no choice since currently that model only comes in the dark blue.  I went with the same model from (years) before but, as with most things, they had made changes in the intervening years.  

Assume I'll get used to the solid, darker color.



Perri and I spent a couple of hours chatting. I gave Phoebe, who quickly made herself at home on my lap, the attention she requested, knowing full well I could be in trouble with Brownie when I got home.    In fact I told Phoebe that, though she didn't seem to care in the least. 


Brownie did perform the standard "where have you been, Mom?" sniff when I got home, and I was surprised he didn't seem overly interested.


While Perri and I continued chatting I helped her bake a cake (okay, so I kept her company in the kitchen while she did all the work, just doing the dishes over her protests) for a dinner party that night with a long-time group of friends. 

 Despite her insisting "it's an easy recipe" it had lots of ingredients (and steps), and took a fair amount of time.  I have little doubt that it turned out wonderful (of course I tasted the batter before washing the bowl and mixer parts) but before it finished baking and I could take a peek at the finished product  I began to flag and decided I probably should head home.


I fed Brownie early (he certainly had no complaints about that), turned off his 3:00 alarm, and stretched out on my bed to listen to my book and drift off for a nap.  Think I managed a good solid hour.



Linda called last night with a heads up about the VOS retreat.  It took my foggy brain  longer than it should have <g> to process what I needed to do to register.  She wondered why I was having such difficulty processing her info until I mentioned I'd been up since 2 am, and then all (I hope!) was forgiven.  After we hung up I sent Carolyn the requisite e-mail, and this morning the form showed up in my e-mail.



It was a disappointment to miss last year's retreat (at a lovely substitute venue, SO close to me) but in February I was still in a lot of pain pre-surgery (and walking was still almost 6 months away, though I was blissfully unaware of that at the time.) 

I  assume the venue WILL be better than the aging one we always used, and of course it will be wonderful to see the ladies. 


The fabric arrived yesterday, and IS the right shade - so with nothing else currently on my agenda I plan/expect/hope to make serious progress on the books this weekend!

Of course you never really know...



No comments:

Post a Comment