Thursday, October 21, 2021

Busy Bees met in a different (much smaller) room at the church yesterday because 'our' room was having work done, which made it difficult to get good pictures.  


Patty did a program on Irish Chain quilts (which apparently did not originate in Ireland) and demo-ed a different technique for assembling the 9-patch blocks.  I likely will still strip piece two-color blocks, but the technique would work great for assembling a scrappy 9-patch.  

At the meeting I spoke to Monica about getting onto her quilt schedule after the holidays since I've decided to enter my Read Me a Story quilt in the AQG show the end of March.  Obviously it has a ways to go before it's ready for its 15 minutes of fame!

This time of the year Monica is busy with all the quilts people need done for holiday gifts, but assures me she'll save me a spot for me after the first of year.  So now I have a deadline.



Louise recently lost her quilting friend Flo, and brought in this stunning applique top she inherited (and which Monica will quilt for her.)  I think Louise said her daughter is the intended (lucky!) recipient.


Grace lost her husband not too long ago


and brought in this wonderful memory idea.  


This was originally a square pillow cover, but now John's lap quilt from his recliner is rolled up and tucked inside of it.  With a zipper on the back to hold it into a bolster shape, it's now a cherished memory pillow for Grace. 



I brought in (actually 'let' Patty carry the heavier one in) the two boxes of Carol's leftover quilting fabrics, batting/stuffing, etc. that have been hanging out in my trunk.  As hoped, Peggy was happy to rehome much of it for her craft projects.  Despite my pressure <g> to take it all, there was a little fabric left over, so on the way home I swung by Savers to drop of what remained, along with some of Flo's that Louise had brought, saving her a trip.


The afternoon weather was perfect, and I spent time in the backyard alternating between some stints of trimming and listening to more of The Yellow Bird Sings, by Jennifer Rosner.

While I was doing that Tom was dusting off the frames in the Museum. Now that the heat has retreated (and his equipment has been moved out of there back into the shop) the cleaners will finally get to attack that room tomorrow.  But since the hangers on the back of the frames are fragile we don't want anyone touching them and possibly dislodging one!  


I'll never forget the time one of the largest came crashing down on its own, hitting all sorts of things on its way to the floor; the incredibly loud noise seemed to go on indefinitely. I was in another room, and it almost sounded as if a car had crashed into the house!  

The frame ended up face down on the floor, where I certainly wasn't going to touch it until Tom got back into town.  Amazingly, though the glass broke, none of the arrowheads were harmed!


 When I came inside I began graphing the book quilt to figure out measurements for sashing between the books.  However I hadn't gotten very far into it when Wanda called: she had fudge for me!  (I have been craving chocolate recently....) So of course <g> I dropped what I was doing and drove over to collect it.  (Alex had hoped for some for his birthday, and even a day late <g> I didn't think he'd complain!) 


Wanda's just bought a new machine, with an easy self-threading mechanism and a laser light that has been a tremendous help to keep her on the straight and narrow.  Her vision issues have been frustrating (her work had always been so precise) and this machine will solve a lot of her issues.  She's just made another beautiful jacket, and I loved how her latest quilt turned out. (We need to make a date to take it to TOQS to show Sherri.)  


Alex and Greta shopped by to say goodbye before heading to Vegas, and it turned out he hadn't read my text about the fudge.  So he was duly rewarded for coming before they left with a baggie of fudge.



No PT today, so my day is wide open to get stuff done.  



Spoke with Deb yesterday, and we're both hoping that Paul is able to make it by to remove our two dead palms.  He won't truly know until he gets to his first scheduled appointment and sees how big that job actually is.  



Though he did the bid for the job "he can't remember" the specifics.  
I can certainly relate to that!   




Brownie could get his dreaded bath today....

No comments:

Post a Comment