Friday, February 1, 2019

Yesterday I went to the dog show with Marilyn, "helping "with navigating (don't ask... lol) and then schlepping all the paraphernalia to the dalmatian area.  As I had expected (and warned), the parking lots were packed (two huge events going on) but on the plus side there was no parking fee for the dog show yesterday. (That won't be the case for today and the rest of the show.)



The handlers (Matt and Melissa) Marilyn had hoped to be there were in fact there.  They've shown a lot of champions, and have a stellar reputation.  Marilyn overheard Matt make a very positive comment about Stubby at the show in Corpus Christi 3 weeks ago (where she took that spectacular fall), so yesterday she asked him if they'd be willing to show him and they agreed.  Unfortunately Stubby's a timid pup, and wasn't happy being with a stranger and away from 'Mom'.  So he didn't show well in his first event, competing against 3 other dogs in his age group, though he still took first place.  They said he'd do better if Marilyn showed him in second event, which she did, when he also took first place - but admittedly that was a very small group...  


There were a large number - though not 101-  of adult dogs entered in their events (I definitely saw spots all day!) and Marilyn knew a lot of them.  I meant to wander around and see if I could find the Australian Shepherds, but somehow ran out of time even though we were there all day.



I hadn't planned to go to the Sewing Expo this year (I don't need any more fabric, I don't need any more fabric, I don't need any more fabric) but as long as I was "in the neighborhood" how could I not?  As it turned out, I didn't have to buy a ticket.  Thank you AQG Board Member Tracy Edwards!

 


Naturally at such a big show I thought it would be easy to find sashing fabrics to coordinate with my two hummer fabrics, but that was not the case.  It wasn't until virtually last booth that I finally found one.  Guess I'll be shopping the Batiki Bar at Modern Quilts next week after my tax appointment after all. 


did find a few other things, though...



Was surprised I didn't run into more people I knew (it was mobbed, as usual) but did bump into  Karen.  I had tucked into my wallet one each of the raffle quilt cards that I recently ordered from Vistaprint (for both Busy Bees and Foothills), so I was able to show her how ours turned out before I bring them to the next business meeting. 



Heading back to car at end of day, we stopped at Matt and Melissa's set-up area to exchange leashes.  That was when he suggested they keep Stubby overnight in their motorhome to bond with him so he'd show better for them today.  No doubt he was not a happy pooch, thinking Marilyn had abandoned him, though Marilyn received several texts last evening that he was doing well and all was fine.  The arrangement had been that if it wasn't working out, she'd drive back down (20 miles) and pick him up, but that wasn't necessary.



A lot of the folks with the various Dal Clubs from around the country were going out to dinner last night, and had Marilyn been staying in a motel she would have joined them.  Instead, we feasted here at the house.  I grilled salmon, with sides of rice, asparagus, and grapefruit, and she made a yummy salad.  We all pigged out, and since I had invited Alex to join us there were no leftovers.  <g>




I have the gym today, so didn't go with Marilyn to the dog show.
Hope to hear good results after his two events today.

No comments:

Post a Comment