Monday, February 25, 2019

Feel like doing a happy dance this morning,  
because I slept in until 5:15, logging 7 hours sleep!  


I was somewhat worried when I woke up at midnight (acid reflux again!) 
but happily fell back asleep.



I got in another nap yesterday afternoon (obviously catching up on sleep after two rather abbreviated nights) so I was not as productive as I'd hoped or expected.  I dozed off while watching forensic shows on TV, but was glad that I was awake for the segment on the case from Phoenix.  It involved paloverde pods in the first case where DNA from botanicals (in a suspect's truck) was matched to a specific banged up tree at a body dump site.  It was quite the scientific breakthrough, and crucial in that case since paloverde trees are seemingly everywhere here in our deserts.  That's them blooming in the foreground of the picture below.


The iconic case took place in 1993, in the early days of DNA technology. A woman’s body had been found in the Arizona desert at a site surrounded by paloverde trees, one of which showed damage from a recent collision. Examination of the suspect’s pickup revealed two paloverde seed pods. Analysis of the DNA from the pods, the damaged tree and 29 other trees confirmed beyond doubt that both seed pods came from the damaged tree, thus linking the vehicle to the murder site. In the subsequent trial, the seed pod data became the first molecular botanical evidence to be accepted by a court, and helped to convict the suspect of murder.



I enjoyed watching the Oscars last night even though I hadn't seen most of the movies.  Green Book is next on my Netflix list, though now that it's won Best Picture I'm wondering if I'll actually get it right away once I watch and then return the one currently here at the house.


 I found the Oscar commercials to be excellent, 
reminding me of the Super Bowl commercial "syndrome".




And now time for posting yet more quilts from Saturday's show.  Amid all the creative quilts were a number that "even I" could make:

Here are several ideas for the blue batik jelly rolls I have been saving!






































Naturally there were many creative quilts outside my comfort zone... <g>













I've never worked with wool.  
This quilt incorporated wool applique with traditional cotton 4-patch blocks.







Lots more traditional applique:
















Light out, so it's time for a soak.  More pictures still to come, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment