Tuesday, October 23, 2018

I have really worked hard at maintaining a positive attitude - and admittedly do better some days than others.  But this post, continuing the sad saga of the hot tub, will not be one of my happier posts.


I called Shayne yesterday (figured after waiting ten days for a part shipped from California I'd showed patience on my part) and after he made some phone calls it turned out the part came in Thursday and Glenn picked it up on Friday.  IF I hadn't called, who knows when they would have gotten around to scheduling me?  



I reasonably tactfully voiced my displeasure, and whaddya know - Glenn called, and arrived within an hour or two.  He drained the tub, replaced the seized up pump motor, and then refilled it.  (His extension cord wasn't long enough to reach the outlet on the back porch, but luckily Mike was home and was able to zoom down here with one of his.)  Mike is going to get them a hot tub at some point, but judging by my issues they are not likely to buy from the same place!  They did admire it yesterday...



After the new part was installed things seemed to be working, at least the jets, lights and waterfall.  (Of course that was the case when they originally set it up weeks ago.)  Glen set the temperature, then registering 77, for 102.  It seemed happy (by the time he got everything put back together and was ready to leave, it was up to 78... but


that must have just been due to the air temperature, because when I went out at 9:30 last night to see if I was going to be able to take an evening soak or have to wait until this morning, it was registering a "refreshing" 79... and that is where it still sits this morning.


I was on the phone with Alex, saying goodnight and checking on his drive (he was an hour or two from his destination) so he got to hear my profound and utter disappointment.  To say I was bummed is quite an understatement, and while I know that not having a working hot tub isn't a major crisis is the big Game of Life, I am very unhappy.  



The instruction booklet, which I was not ready to tackle last night but DID check this morning, was (NO SURPRISE HERE!) of absolutely NO HELP!



This morning I sent a text to Glenn (I've been up since 4:30, but waited until a more reasonable hour) and he did just text me back, agreeing that it is "disappointing", and asking what's on the display.  I responded, and about ten minutes later he called.  


I am following directions (turn off breaker, remove filter, turn on breaker, wait ten minutes) while he made some phone calls.  As the result of those, he thinks something else may have fried in the warehouse, and is coming by this afternoon to install that new part.  This does NOT bode well for a brand new hot tub to already have two defective parts!!!  And who knows what is next? Is everything compromised? Because of course once the warranty runs out they won't feel compelled to replace them. Will have to look into whether there's a Lemon Law for hot tubs!


Also sent a text to Shayne about how at this point I am ready to return it for a full refund, and after venting to Glenn (not really his fault!) "suggested" that when he talks to Shayne he should let him know how unhappy I am.  So I have now just gotten a text from Shayne trying to mollify me by saying that Glenn will be out today to fix it...  also trying to shift blame for at least the first part failure elsewhere.  


Not sure about the pressure thingie, which (after the tub is drained again today for that installation) is today's "adventure".  On the plus side, it's a good thing I still have Mike's extension cord here. 





Steve and Ricky actually showed up yesterday, and filled in some of the dirt around the box (although still no "official" grate, and no final cement pad poured.)  Hoping the baffle (see the gaping hole), which was removed on Sunday to have weights welded onto it, actually makes it back today (as promised!) to block off the pipe since we absolutely need it before Thursday's water!


At least he did haul away most of the old system, with just these few small pieces left behind.



Now I need to eat something and drag myself to the gym.  Maybe today would be a good day to whale on a boxing bag and let out some of my frustrations!




No comments:

Post a Comment