Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Yesterday afternoon I watched Wanda demo the machine binding method on an adorable whole-cloth kid charity quilt.  It's impossible to see any detail in my pic (obviously I should have taken a close up!) but there are various animals performing all sorts of circus tricks.  No doubt this cheery quilt will become some lucky child's favorite blankie!


Machine binding would be a quick and easy alternative for binding charity quilts, though of course quilt show judges (and other "quilt police") would not approve of it. 



The rest of our afternoon was spent admiring Wanda's various UFOs.  Despite her discouragement at the number of those that have accumulated, she gets a LOT of projects finished... certainly way more than I do!  The quilt-as-you-go UFO (that she brought home from the recent Delightful Quilters' sale to finish up as a charity quilt, and then shopped for some additional coordinating fabric at Bobbi's Boutique) has gotten me thinking about starting my QAYG project using some of the zillion leftover strips that have piled up here in several huge boxes.



 She and I both want to make a colorful Round Robin quilt like Margot's.  Since she made it several years ago and now can't find the pattern, Wanda borrowed the quilt and I've offered to set about drafting the pattern "one of these days".  (I'd put a star in the center instead of a basket.)



Once home in the afternoon I whipped up my written directions for Wanda to pass out at her demo tomorrow.  I would have liked time for my directions to 'percolate' so I could tweak them before "submitting" my final draft (Marcie had a few questions last night after I shot her the copy she requested, and will try to clear up her confusion later today) but that's a little hard to do when you're down to the wire with regard to an impending deadline.



Last night I made additional progress on the Flying Pig Studio towel.  It's possible I could have time to work on it at the Busy Bees meeting later this morning; just not sure how long it will take me to blind-stitch Sandy's birthday gift, which of course takes precedence so I can get it in the mail asap.



Linda got the welcome call last night from AQG that one of her quilts won a ribbon.  She won't find out until the award ceremony tomorrow night which of her entries actually won, though we both assume it is her redwork quilting ladies.  I planned to share one of my pix here to remind everyone of what it looks like (and KNOW that I have several pix of it) but despite having just spent the better part of the past half hour looking through my computer I can't find any.  There is one of MY pix on the Foothills site (because it won the 2016 Challenge "What Quilting Means to Me) but Shutterfly won't let me copy/save from there.



Carolyn was understandably thrilled to get a similar call before the show some years ago.  However when she showed up at the awards ceremony that Thursday night she was (quite naturally) very disappointed to discover that someone had called her by mistake

No comments:

Post a Comment