Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Spring has definitely sprung... it's going to be in the 80s this week,
with a predicted high of 89 one day. 


Meanwhile, back home in Maryland,
they're expecting snow today and tomorrow.



I didn't get my big aloe transplanted yesterday because I was awaiting a call from Wanda, and figured as soon as I got in the middle of it the phone would ring.  She's teaching a class on machine binding at one of her groups this week (she'd forgotten all about it) and they want her to bring written instructions.  (Had to laugh when she wondered out loud why anyone would need written instructions, and I had to remind her that not everyone is as talented as she is... which is why she is doing the demo!)  When she asked me if I'd help write them up for her, I readily agreed, but thought it would be "helpful" <g> if I actually watched her do it on her demo piece since I don't know how to do it myself. 


We agreed that she would call me in the afternoon when she was ready (she still had to make up a little quilt first) but other things got in the way; her grandson is in town, and he ended up taking her to lunch.  So we're going to do it this afternoon instead.


Yesterday Tom dropped off his car at John's, a neighbor who has a mechanic shop in his back yard, for an oil change.  Shortly thereafter, John appeared on our front porch (sans Tom's truck) and I watched through the window and listened (it's lovely being able to have the front door open) when he explained the latest crisis.  Tom's truck was stuck up on the lift, which had stopped working; something about the hydraulics.  Naturally everything he had tried didn't work, so he was waiting to hear back from someone to come repair it.  In the meantime, Tom's truck would remain in limbo.  John was beyond frustrated, but Tom took it all in stride.



Marcie got her design wall installed yesterday!  It's way beyond tall - remember that Marcie is pretty tall herself! - but not wide enough.  Her current quilt is folded over on the right side.  



 I got the bindings made and attached for Sandy's gift yesterday, so I'm all ready to do the hand-stitching at the Busy Bees meeting on Wednesday and then can get it into the mail.  I also got the Flying Pig towel graphed out, and about half of it cross-stitched before bedtime last night.



Around 8:00 last evening I got a call from Lisa Lane.  She was on her way home and about a half block away when she came upon a tortoise cruising in the road.  Naturally she assumed it was Pokey, but a quick check by me confirmed Pokey was safe and sound in the backyard.  I walked over to help her, and then called Tom for a little help. 


After 'we' put it in my car and then relocated it in the backyard, I set about trying to find the owner.  It's too small to be Rosebud (though did text Shelley to see if she knows who is missing their sulcata) so I called Mimi, but their escape-artist tortoise was also safe in her burrow. 


Then walked over to Dave & Neva's (the phone number I have for them is no longer in service), but theirs was also safe in its (deep! steep!) burrow.  Lisa posted a Found message on the neighborhood site last night (Marcie saw it, and contacted me right away, also thinking Pokey had escaped) so hopefully we'll be able to reunite the wanderer with its people today.  Somebody is missing it! 


Naturally I worried that our newest occupant of the backyard could fall into the pool in the dark, so I was relieved to find an "empty" pool this morning.



Should get ready for the gym now.  Hope I'm not too sore after "horseback riding" last night!  It's been 30 years since my back let me ride; where do dreams come from?!

No comments:

Post a Comment