Monday, March 26, 2018

I always look forward to seeing what beauties won an exemplary ribbon,
so the foyer outside the lecture hall was our first real stop.
 


The tiny hexies in this Seven Sisters quilt are fussy-cut, and SO perfectly done that even at a distance of just a few inches it looks like one piece of fabric; should have taken a close-up of some of the pattern-ed pieces with the flower in the exact center.  Her colors colors don't appeal to me, but the workmanship is stunning!  



The (Arizona flag) colors in this one are much more to my liking.... <g>




Heading off in a bit for my first long-arm session with Cindy, where I'm just hoping to just quilt a fairly even meander pattern.  These next two quilts demonstrate gorgeous workmanship that is so, so, so far past anything I'm "likely" (DUH!) to ever accomplish!  Quilting really does make the quilt... :-)







Our Greatest Generation is certainly a wonderful family heirloom... though I'm not sure it deserved to be an Exemplary Winner.  Feel free to make your own decision after seeing many of the rest of the quilts in the show.




Next it was off to the "back" room, where the first quilt we saw was in the youth category.  Marcie and I had just been discussing how so few kids are taking up quilting, and then we saw this.  Thanks, Jeannie!



Lots of color in these companion pieces, then quilted with variegated thread.




Fabric choice is always crucial for any quilt.  Of course "different strokes for different folks", but we both liked Celeste's colorful version of the Sundown mystery quilt .  (Notice the more muted colors used in the quilt to the right.)




I would have liked to attend her class last year (and have a couple of her patterns in my stash, just "waiting") but think it was held when I was Back East.  Here are just a couple of the Emerson 



and Purrfect quilts on display.



Other Laura Heine patterns were sprinkled throughout the show.

for Andy:

for Bana:


Who wouldn't like a photo quilt?!  By the time I thought about making one for Mom & Dad's 60th anniversary years ago, sadly it was way too late to get started.  LOVE the idea, though!






This cheery row quilt reminds me of the one
Joni taught some years ago at Busy Bees.



Pretty sure this fun pattern is languishing in my stash...



Ellen "cheated" on this McKenna Ryan quilt by buying a kit with the gazillion tiny pieces already  laser cut. She did make it clear at Foothills that she's never tackling one like this again <g> though all the incredible detail (impossible to appreciate here) sure makes for an exquisite holiday quilt. Too bad the colors in my photo are washed out.



Sparkly rick-rack around the inner border (as well as the appliqued flowers)
gives this easy scrap strip quilt some extra oomph.



I recognized the colorful border fabrics from some of my quilts.



Another wonderful display was of quilts (and there were quite a lot of them) presented to past AQG presidents as a thank-you at the end of their term 

I remember when Jeannie was quilting this one for Patricia Benner.




Dream of Peace for Judy Taylor (though her tenure was anything but peaceful!)




One of my UFOs (I worked on it at the VOS retreat in February)
is similar to this one given to Lynn Kough.



Da Modern One - for Elaine Putnam 2014-2015



for Gail Pigget:



Ooops - forgot to get documentation on which president received this one - 



A few giraffes to 'reward' Mom for making it this far through the quilts! <g> 




The rest of the pix will have to wait; it's time for breakfast and a shower before my lesson in an hour. Since Cindy's studio is only a block away at least I don't have to worry about traffic...


Any guesses as to what Rule 1 is?  Here's mine:


No comments:

Post a Comment